Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Vivid Black and scratches......help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 04:24 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Vivid Black and scratches......help!

I am VERY meticulous with my cars and motorcycles, however, I cannot for the life of mekeep the very fine scratches from finding their way on my '07 VividBlacks paint surface.

I have used Zaino, Zymol, and Liquid Glass but the fine scratches persists.Any suggestions?

Old 12-31-2006, 04:26 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Vivid Black and scratches......help!

PM 3Dog. He is a Hogtailer and has an extreme amount of knowledge regarding keeping your bike looking brand new...

Old 12-31-2006, 04:28 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: anubisss

PM 3Dog. He is a Hogtailer and has an extreme amount of knowledge regarding keeping your bike looking brand new...
Thanks for the reply. Man! This Vivid Black is killing me. I like a very slick finish on all my toys, but the black is getting the better of me.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:54 PM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: UltraKla$$ic
Thanks for the reply. Man! This Vivid Black is killing me. I like a very slick finish on all my toys, but the black is getting the better of me.
I'm with ya! Can't seem to get the very fine scratches( I hate saying that word, especially on a new bike) out of my Vivid Black FB. After buying a black Grand Cherokee a couple a years ago I said I will never buy another black vehicle again. Oh well!!!!

Old 12-31-2006, 04:59 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The best secret is not to rub on the bike all the time. I don't use spray detailers between washes. If it is dusty, I dust it with a feather duster, but don't wipe on it. I don't have a vivid black, but do have a color that shows swirls or scratches. I only wash my bike with S-100 and rinse. I rarely rub on it other than to maybe to get off some bugs. Then, I use a lambs wool mitt with a good car soap with wax. Then, I don't rub it dry. I blow it with a leaf blower. I usually wax about every other wash. Not a hours long session, just wipe it on and wipe it off. The whole waxjob doesn't take but about 10 minutes. If I miss a spot this time, I'll hit it the next. My bike is 7 years old and has 64k on the clock. You can still part your hair in the finish.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:35 PM
3Dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your bike is normal than probably 90% to all of your micromarring ( those fine scratches, swirls, spiderwebs, etc) is coming from cleaning your bike.
First off if you are buying OTC then get some Mequiars ScratchX and a foam pad. Depending on how bad some time and elbow grease will be needed.....then go with the other products you listed. Always remove products with a quality micro fiber towels. ( actually Target and K-mart have some good ones)
Cleaning: I firmly believe in the two bucket method.
One bucket with car wash shampoo..mixed per directions..too much can be too strong on weaken the protection you have applied.
Second bucket is your rinse bucket filled with clean water.
Before you re-dip your "sheepskin" wash mitt always dip and shake in your clean water to dislodge any dirt and particles.( when you finish washing you soap bucket should have clean water, your rinse bucket should be dirty)
I would not use the same mitt on paint that I used on wheels.
Only dry (if you do not have a blower) with a quality MF "drying" towels...used only for drying. Have seperate drying towel for paint.
For quick cleanups use a quick detailer or a spray no-rinse wash.
This has been a quick answer to your question and PM..feel free to ask more specific questions.
ANUBISSS...thanks for the vote of confidence.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5705/5F6B06B71B29494F895CE39AB59F9D1E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-31-2006, 08:06 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for your reply.

Elbow grease and time are all I have for my beloved Ultra......I once polished my Goldwings aluminum rims to a chrome-like finish.......................by hand.

I have seen thevarious "scratch" removing products on the shelves, but was VERY cautious about the claims, especially on black paint.

So you DO recommend ScratchX on black paint? It won't make the "micromarring" worse?

Just need a little reassurance....lol.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:27 PM
wishbonecg
Cruiser

What's the feelings about Zaino products? I'm told it's some of the best stuff out there but have never used it. My bike is also vivid black. Oh, nevermind. Shame on me for not searching the subject before posting a question. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:33 PM
JoeVFR
Tourer

Wishbone,

I asked the same question of 3dog. I don't want to put words in his mouth, he seems to like Zaino but uses another product that cures faster. I have the Zaino stuff and really like it, but I thought I would ask the question here to see what he thought. I have a couple of older vehicles ('98, '99) and I did the whole process to them with the clay bar yada yada. They look better than most cars I see on the road. I really like the stuff.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:42 PM
3Dog
Tourer

ScratchX seems to break down by hand just fine. Besides buying something online that will be your best bet. I do recommend using a foam applicator pad.
ORIGINAL: UltraKla$$ic

Thanks for your reply.

Elbow grease and time are all I have for my beloved Ultra......I once polished my Goldwings aluminum rims to a chrome-like finish.......................by hand.

I have seen thevarious "scratch" removing products on the shelves, but was VERY cautious about the claims, especially on black paint.

So you DO recommend ScratchX on black paint? It won't make the "micromarring" worse?

Just need a little reassurance....lol.

Quick Reply: Vivid Black and scratches......help!