Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

3 minute WWW cleaning!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Ron "Gunner" Retzlaff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3 minute WWW cleaning!!!!

OK like many others I am sure there a hundred threads on this, but I had to post my results. I have never really cleaned my WWW tires well enough to matter. Yes, the bike gets washed and dried pretty regularly (read every 3 weeks or so). She isn't a trailer queen and has seen 25k miles already as she is my commuter when it isn't raining or below 34 degrees. Needless to say the WWW tires looked pretty dingy since I never really attack them well enough and I NEVER clean the back one since it is such a pain in the A$$ to get to.

That all changed today when I took the Simple Green and Walmart magic eraser to them. 3 MINUTES EACH AND THEY WERE DONE WITHOUT BREAKING A SWEAT!!!!!!

I don't remember where I saw this, but I would like to kiss whoever thought it up "right on the mouth". The Mrs is happy about the WWW being properly cleaned for a change and I'm happy because it doesn't look like a turd.

This is the back tire before cleaning

This is about 3 minutes later without much effort

This is what I used to clean them with, including my 'old man mat'

I hope this helps someone else in their WWW cleaning endeavors and THANKS to whoever thought it up in the first place. I can't take credit for it, but I really want to pass this on.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:36 PM
scotracy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet! I am going to try this, looks like a great idea! Thanks!

Old 02-19-2012, 03:03 PM
jay87LX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are those rollers that the back wheel is sitting on? Even without the WWW it is a PITA cleaning the back wheel

Old 02-19-2012, 03:07 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jay-s
what are those rollers that the back wheel is sitting on? Even without the WWW it is a PITA cleaning the back wheel
http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...and-98800.html

Motorcycle wheel cleaning stand from Harbor Freight - item # 98800

I have one also - comes in handy cleaning the wheels...

Old 02-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 2,702 Posts

So how does this work, spray with Simple Green then (rinse?) use the eraser on it? Or eraser first then Simple Green?

Old 02-19-2012, 03:28 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by gmcretz
OK like many others I am sure there a hundred threads on this, but I had to post my results. I have never really cleaned my WWW tires well enough to matter. Yes, the bike gets washed and dried pretty regularly (read every 3 weeks or so). She isn't a trailer queen and has seen 25k miles already as she is my commuter when it isn't raining or below 34 degrees. Needless to say the WWW tires looked pretty dingy since I never really attack them well enough and I NEVER clean the back one since it is such a pain in the A$$ to get to.

That all changed today when I took the Simple Green and Walmart magic eraser to them. 3 MINUTES EACH AND THEY WERE DONE WITHOUT BREAKING A SWEAT!!!!!!

I don't remember where I saw this, but I would like to kiss whoever thought it up "right on the mouth". The Mrs is happy about the WWW being properly cleaned for a change and I'm happy because it doesn't look like a turd.

This is the back tire before cleaning

This is about 3 minutes later without much effort

This is what I used to clean them with, including my 'old man mat'

I hope this helps someone else in their WWW cleaning endeavors and THANKS to whoever thought it up in the first place. I can't take credit for it, but I really want to pass this on.
I might let the Mrs. kiss me right on the mouth but not you.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:34 PM
In2It
Road Captain

What make are your WWW and do you like them,ie handling and wear?

Old 02-19-2012, 09:47 PM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 348 Likes on 157 Posts

Can you use the eraser by itself? I'd buy whitewalls if I could find a way to clean them without breaking out the hose. I normally just wipe my bike down with detail spray, I seldom use soap and water.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Ron "Gunner" Retzlaff
Tourer

Originally Posted by In2It
What make are your WWW and do you like them,ie handling and wear?
Mine are the OEM Dunlop D407 & D408, handling and wear are excellent. I got 20,515 out of my back tire and changed my front at around 23k. They are pricey to say the least, but it factors out when compared to having to change them at around 8 or 9k regularly.

Dunlop has come out with an Elite III which is built on the same composition of the D407/8 and sold at other retailers other than Harley Davidson. The only difference is that it doesn't say HD on the tire and doesn't have the HD logos stamped in the sides. I couldn't find those when I needed to change so I went with the D407/8 from the stealer.

Michelin is supposed to have a new tire out that wears crazy long also, but I can't remember what the name of it is or whether it is going to be a WWW or not. Good luck with your quest for the perfect tire for your bike!

Old 02-20-2012, 07:48 AM
Ron "Gunner" Retzlaff
Tourer

Originally Posted by JonW
Can you use the eraser by itself? I'd buy whitewalls if I could find a way to clean them without breaking out the hose. I normally just wipe my bike down with detail spray, I seldom use soap and water.
I haven't tried the eraser by itself, but you could probably use a minimal amount of simple green and water. It could be done without a hose if you had a damp rag to wipe it off with as you go. Good luck on which ever way you decide to go.

Quick Reply: 3 minute WWW cleaning!!!!