Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Demin paint and washing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:36 AM
Loungelizard
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back on laptop...no more tiny font! Yeh, San Diego is nice, love it, can't go back but good memories. Grew up in Walnut Creek, Fremont and spent time in San Jose. I miss the green rolling hills and riding up Mt. Diablo. How much of the bike do you have problems with? Reason I ask is, I'm gonna paint the tank and fenders in denim black soon and if I remove the parts, he's quoting me ~$500-$600. Dunno if that's over or under but I trust him and he's got an insane looking Fatboy himself. Not that you have to go that far but maybe there's a solution. I asked him because I've got some "shinny spots" where the passenger pillion had rubbed in certain areas. But she loves to ride so I'm not getting rid of the lady because of the paint! Just PM me if you've got nothing by tomorrow end of day and I'll let ya know

Old 06-11-2010, 01:41 AM
dnebout
Cruiser

I'm in Martinez. Bought this bike 2 weeks ago and I'm new to Denim paint. It's not to bad, but it bugs me that it's not perfect. I'll keep searching, but yes please ask your guy tomorrow for me. Thanks!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:21 AM
Loungelizard
Advanced

No Prob. Gotta call him anyway.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Loungelizard
Advanced

Originally Posted by dnebout
I'm in Martinez. Bought this bike 2 weeks ago and I'm new to Denim paint. It's not to bad, but it bugs me that it's not perfect. I'll keep searching, but yes please ask your guy tomorrow for me. Thanks!
OK, just got off the phone with him and here's what he said:

Get an Automotive Wax and Grease remover. It's what he uses to prep their jobs. It should remove the any wax that's there. He stressed not to buy cheap stuff, buy quality (he didn't give any specific names). Maybe just try a little bit in a hidden area first. It shouldn't hurt the paint or the flat clear that's on the bike. It must be Automotive specific.

I came across this site just looking around for similar problems. Interesting as one dude recommends similar but the guy solved it with, of all things, peanut butter! I'd use the wax remover though.

Scotch-Brite is last resort because he said you could scratch it.

Lemme know how it goes and good luck! Take some before and after shots too.

Rich

Old 06-11-2010, 12:33 PM
dnebout
Cruiser

I should have thought of that. I've done some amateur paint jobs including my jeep and my RV when I scraped the whole side on the Benicia Bridge toll booth. I have top grade wax remover in the garage. It says WAX REMOVER right on the can (go figure). Thanks a bunch for looking into it for me. I've been pounding my head against the garage door and was ready to lay my head under it and push the remote.

Working out of the house today, so I'll try it now.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Loungelizard
Advanced

... I scraped the whole side on the Benicia Bridge toll booth...I've been pounding my head against the garage door and was ready to lay my head under it and push the remote.
Ok, you sure are one for messin with paint jobs! The garage door comment, still laughing at that one. Too much.

I'm off to the Depot to get some plugs for the fender after the plate relocation. Nice day and gotta ride!

Lemme know how it works out.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:07 PM
dnebout
Cruiser

Not good!!! The wax and grease remover laid a white fog over the rear fender. I'm now trying to wash the fog off with HD Denim Cleaner. This is getting worse by the minute.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Loungelizard
Advanced

Not good!!! The wax and grease remover laid a white fog over the rear fender. I'm now trying to wash the fog off with HD Denim Cleaner. This is getting worse by the minute.
Bro, hit me with a PM and I'll give you my mobile to call!

Old 06-11-2010, 09:56 PM
dnebout
Cruiser

Hey Rich,

All done and all "WAX OFF" Thanks for your number and sorry I couldn't call but I was just back and forth all day with work. Just got done.

Anyway like I said, I got it off. There's actually a technique to it.. Thanks for going the extra mile and also, please thank the guy that was advising us. I'll post how it works best for everybody to see.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:00 PM
dnebout
Cruiser
Default How to get wax off Denim Paint

How to get wax off Denim Paint

Material needed:
Professional paint shop grade Wax and Grease Remover
HD Denim Paint Cleaner
Roll of paper towels

1. First keep 1 paper towel in your hand and one nearby
2. Wet the first paper towel with Wax and Grease Remover. Don't be shy.
3. Wipe it heavy and wet onto the surface that your cleaning and scrub the crap out of the length of the fender or tank that your cleaning back and forth keeping the whole area wet and making sure to scrub evenly on all areas.
4. Before it dries,quickly grab your second paper towel and wipe the majority of the Wax and Grease Remover off in one fluid motion from one end to the other. The fender will still be somewhat wet and at this point, so you can let it evaporate.
5. If the finish dries with a haze, repeat steps 1 through 4.
6. Grab 2 new paper towels and spray down the fender with the HD Denim Cleaner.
7. Wipe back and forth again with the first paper towel making sure not to let it dry.
8. In one sweeping motion use the second paper towel to quickly wipe the fender down and then let the excess evaporate.
9. This should do it. Make sure to use long fluid motions and keep it wet like you would your lady. You don't want it to dry and don't want to stop in the middle of a stroke. Nobody will be happy in the end.

Big thanks to Loungelizard on this as we both worked on it together and he talked me off the ledge!!! LOL

Quick Reply: Demin paint and washing.