Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Shiny tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Shiny tires?

ORIGINAL: Primo

ORIGINAL: dastark

So I've read the past posts with reguards to armor alling tires. And I get the slippery factor. Not good. But what about just the ribbed area next to the rim? Seems like it would be o.k. If I'm leaning my bike that hard in the corners It would be too late anyway. It just looks awfully nice when it's done.
The problem with doing even just part of the sidewalls is that most of these products are petroleum based and as such will liquify in the heat and can run down to where the tire meets the road.

H-D offers a Tire Protectant . Never used it but I would think it would be safer than Armor-All.

A little history lesson: In the old days (pre-Armor-All) the lowriders used to use good ol' Coca Cola to make the tires shine. Kind of old school but supposedly did the trick.

Primo
laid my first bike down this way. not worth it to me, especially after almost getting me killed. f--k the shine[:'(]

Old 11-09-2006, 10:33 PM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not going to speak for anyone else, but I'd catch a peg before I'd ever have to worry about tire dressing causing me to lose traction. I've used tire dressing for as long as I've been riding, and I don't sweat it one bit. But, I'm not a real aggressive rider either...

Old 11-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Grey Biker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shinny Tires: Man I've heard it all. They only thing to clean tires with is Wesleys Bleach White, Does wonders on black tires and nothing can compare to the way it cleans white walls. Drop by your local Wall Mart and pick some up.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:41 AM
woodeyewetzel
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley makes a product for the sidewalls. It's product number94628-05 on page 836

Old 11-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior

I used Bleche White for cleaning and EAGLE ONE Tire Protectant on part of the tire that goes from the rim to the ridge. Never put that stuff on the traction part of the tire.

The thing about the EAGLE ONE Protectant - it is water based. Don't use a lot - a little goes a long way. If you can find it they give you a curved applicator that works awesome. This stuff will stay on the tire for some time also.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:05 AM
ibridin
2nd Gear

I never put any of that #$it on my tires! Try this it works great On my white stripes on a road king.
first clean them with a cleaner, I use simple green, then use a good quality auto wash with a scrub brush. It makes them look like new and no slippery #$it!!!

Old 05-27-2007, 11:27 AM
6Clicks
Cruiser

I want all the traction I can get. Clean rubber looks fine to me.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:21 PM
seaflea
Cruiser

I've used scrubbing bubbles on all my tires and black painted parts. Its doesnt make a mess and is safeif you get it on the paint also ( I usually use it to detail me engine compartment).

Old 07-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Scooter_092196
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For cleaning my narrow white walls, I use sos pads w/ the soap right in them. They clean up whiter than I can get them with the Bleach White. No tire dressing here.I give the 06 a bath weekly, and the tires stay nice and black w/out any dressings.

My neighbor on the other hand, he uses Armor All on the side walls downto the treadand I've warned him a number of times if he has to swerve hard that he might want to re-consider. Just not worth it to me for shiney tires. Maybe for a trailer queen.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:12 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard the Coke thing before and tried it. Itdidn't do anything.

Quick Reply: Shiny tires?