Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Denim paint durability etc questions please..

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 04:02 PM
jrudicel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Denim paint durability etc questions please..

Guys, sold my black cherry 2006 streetglide and looking into a new bike. Not sure on the color as I like several including the rootbeer special color, red sunglo, pewter pearl, AND pewter denim. Always liked the pewter denim on other glides for some reason. Anyways how durable and easy to keep looking good are they? I mean, I am **** about water spots micro swirls and scratches etc. The black cherry was a pain to me to keep it spotless all the time without going through the whole cleaning regimen everytime.
Does the denim show waterspots or hairline swirls and scratches like the shinier paints? How does it hold up? Look good with just a wash and blow dry without all the waxing etc? What about bugs sticking to the rough paint and being a pain to get off?
thanks for any insight guys!

Old 11-08-2008, 04:30 PM
crp5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Pewter Denim SG and the paint guy in the service dept told me to wash it with Dawn dish washing soap and let er dry. The dawn removes all of the grime from the clear and keeps it looking good. No waxing, no fuss. He is painting my inner fairing and said that the base paint look the same as the pearl finish, its the clear coat that gives it the denim look. Says its a bugger to paint.
I came off of a vivid black ultra and spent a good deal of my down time cleaning that one. The no hassle finish of the pewter denim was what sold me over the pewter pearl. More time to ride...

Old 11-13-2008, 11:28 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got a pewter denim Street Bob and I don't know if there could be an easier to clean paint. It always looks clean because it doesn't show dirt easily and the upkeep is just wiping it off and riding. I use regular car wash soap when washing the bike and of course no wax.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:59 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't use dish detergent on your paint. It has strong cleaning agents to cut through grease and leftover food on dishes and pots and pans. Regular car wash soap should work fine, or if it's not too dirty use detailer after removing the dust with a dash duster.