Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

CLAY BAR

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008 | 05:24 PM
chromedome
|
Road Master
Default CLAY BAR

Havean 08. Going to use the Zaino line.(Z-2pro, ZFX, Z-6 ) Should I use the claybar first?

Old 02-05-2008 | 05:28 PM
jogg77
Intermediate
Default RE: CLAY BAR

I would say no. The clay bar is to remove particles from the paint, your bike is brand new therefore you don't need it.

Old 02-06-2008 | 12:45 PM
HATZO1
Tourer

I'd use it , you would be surprised at what kinds of stuff would be in the paint even if it s brand new, and it won't hurt to use it.I use Zaino on all my vehicles, and even on some ofmy detail customers cars if they want to pay the extra for time and materials. Several lately have been done right of the show room floor (bikes and cars). Just be sure to follow there instructions and you'll come out great.

Old 02-10-2008 | 04:06 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

As stated above, you don't need a clay bar for new paint. In fact, this might causeswirl marks if you're not careful.

Old 02-22-2008 | 12:26 AM
pkenyon1
Road Captain

I dont think you are right, check the website or send email to Zaino...you should claybar factory bikes to remove factory contaminates according to them.

In my dealings with this company I dont get the feeling that they try to push stuff onto customers just for the sake of it, I exchanged a lot of emails and got what seemed to be very honest responses.

Surely swirl marks would be in any top coat / clear coat and not on paint UNLESS you did a real crappy job and did not follow claybar instructions.

If you have experience of claying that caused swirl marks, could you please share them with us?

Old 02-22-2008 | 12:37 AM
chromedome
|
Road Master

I went ahead and used clay. The proper use of the clay bar (as explained to me) was not to use circular motions but to go back and forth. You use a lubricant between the bar and the paint and there isn't much pressure applied at all. I'm glad I did it. I could feel the imperfections, although not many, as the bar glided across them and removed them.

After that, 3 coats of Zaino polish and a top coat of p21s carnuba... wow!

Old 02-22-2008 | 03:20 PM
guild
Cruiser

Never heard of clay bar could someone explane? Thanks

Old 02-22-2008 | 03:52 PM
chromedome
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: guild

Never heard of clay bar could someone explane? Thanks
It is a clay. It is soft and pliable. It isused to remove surface contiminants ( brake dust, hard water spots, environmental, etc)from the paint prior to polishing/ waxing. If you ant to see what your paint is like now, after washing and drying stretch plasticwrap onyour hand and glide it over the paint with light pressure. You may feel the paint being a little rough in spots, little bumps, etc. The clay bar cleans and lifts these off the paint. Smoothes it very nicely. Just make sure that you check the clay bar from time to time to see whats stuck to it and Pick it off. It's a very simlpe process to clay a bike and well worth it.

Old 02-22-2008 | 04:05 PM
guild
Cruiser

I am trying not to sound stupid here... Is the clay bar used wet or dry,and is itavalible in automotive type stores.

Old 02-22-2008 | 05:59 PM
chromedome
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: guild

I am trying not to sound stupid here... Is the clay bar used wet or dry,and is itavalible in automotive type stores.
Your not. As you can tellfrom my first post I knew very little about this. Still no expert by a looooong shot. I just asked around and researched like you are doing. Brother 3dog is the man. Search his posts and you'll learn a ton.

I use zaino products but you can go to autozone, pepboys etc and find other manufactures there. Meguires comes to mind.

You'll want to use it with some surface lubrication. With the Zaino bar I just mix a capful of the zaino regular wash with 16oz water in a spray bottle and mist the surface and then use the bar.

If your going to do this make sure you wash your bike with a dishwashing liquid first... like Dawn (no bleach) Get the original blue. That will strip off the old wax and polish. Don't use this to wash the bike later after you have polished and waxed or you'll strip off your hard work. Anyway dry it off and then clay. Then wash with a good quality car wash. Dry again and get to polishing and waxing.

Here's a great site for instruction, product reviews, etc. http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html

Quick Reply: CLAY BAR