Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Ceramic coating and bug removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 07:50 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,219 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by tpb857
I'm interested in what you would recommend. Thanks.
Wolfgang Uber. McKees N914. CarPro Echo2, this does hack up gloss some but cleans real well

Uber cost $20-$25. Concentrated, so it makes gallons of WW and/ or rinseless wash. There are some others also. Ultima makes a real nice one

The following users liked this post:
tpb857 (03-17-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 08:40 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 689 Posts

honda wash and wax, use it dry and it even repels dirt for a few days
a lot of people believe a lot of things about so called ceramic coating, but truth told, requires about the same maintenance as any other. one plus is it can build layers with added protection unlike carnauba based wax.

Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (03-17-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 08:53 AM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter
Received 566 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
a lot of people believe a lot of things about so called ceramic coating, but truth told, requires about the same maintenance as any other. one plus is it can build layers with added protection unlike carnauba based wax.
You are 100% correct but you will now get your ***** busted by some cheapskate crying about the "Honda" price.... for each his own as this wasn't about penny savers. If it works great for you and you like it GREAT!

We used a "Honda" brand sealant on our Shovel and EVO cases (when opened up) for YEARS, without complaints or leaks.

Old 03-17-2024, 09:02 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 689 Posts

why are the getting their panties in a bunch
hd is going rice anyway and besides, hd has been using jap parts since the 40's at least!!!
hd is no better or no worst than any other, i had over 50 machines from a to z and each has +/-'s.

Old 03-17-2024, 04:52 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,219 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
When paint has a coating on it, you dont want anything to "Build up" on it.
On my old bike I used one of those cleaners, dont remember if it was the honda one or not. It was an absolute disaster. I had to break out the hose and a bucket to get it off. The coating repeled the spray and it was awful.
All 3 of our vehicles are coated. Ill get 2+ years out of it on my truck, outside 24/7. Wife's CTS will get longer then that, garaged. Bike will last until I decide to try something different on it.
Wax here in Florida would be lucky to last a month due to Congo heat and sun beating down on it

Old 03-18-2024, 10:35 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,675 Likes on 4,224 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
Wolfgang Uber. McKees N914. CarPro Echo2, this does hack up gloss some but cleans real well

Uber cost $20-$25. Concentrated, so it makes gallons of WW and/ or rinseless wash. There are some others also. Ultima makes a real nice one
i really like all three, recently used Uber as a rinseless wash on my bike

i found Uber to be a little more gentle than N-914... i use N-914 or Reset when I'm looking for a deep cleaning

ECH2O leaves a pretty sparkly shine, hard to beat

eaglefan1 (03-18-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 06:54 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,259 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz
I get em right away....bug guts are often fairly acidic, and the longer they sit, the more they grab onto the surface...bug guts will etch and damage a clear coat

i avoid bug removers....they are harsh chemicals meant to dissolve organic compounds....I wouldn't use it unless i also planned on washing the bike afterwards

avoid scrubbing bugs off the surface.....contaminants should lift with one pass of a microfiber....let washes dwell a bit...but don't rub an MF back and forth until you scrape the the bugs off

most of your damage to your coating and your clear coat will occur because of washing the bike, even if you do it properly, there is no way to avoid the damage you are doing...so don't be obsessed with keeping it perfect....it stopped being perfect about 20 minutes after it was done
I was awful for many, many years. Car wash once a year. When I first got bikes when I was younger, I would polish often. Either I got lazy with age or the luster had worn off.

Couple years ago I started working on a fairing that was rough.Bike has 70k miles and went to AK and is what is.

I have started spraying down fairing daily. But I do wonder like you said, is that doing damage. 20 minutes like you say bugs again all over it, only looks good in garage.

I have gotten into ****** baths last couple years. Wipe down fairing, maybe front end.

I have friend, old timer, older bikes. Washing often, by hand, says you might catch something loose, before it is an issue. When I was it, I say I am going to do more, but I know, I won't, just to lazy and busy