Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Tired of this Vivid Black

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 09:03 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Tired of this Vivid Black

It seems like everytime I wipe my bike down I get more and more fine scratches. I use alot of quick detailer and numerous microfiber towels. I havnt waxed the bike yet. ButI want to do so soon.What am I doing wrong?
What process should I do when I wax it? How about some names of products to use?

Old 08-13-2007, 09:39 PM
3Dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tired of this Vivid Black

Just as it is with everything...all MF is not alike. MF can be tested on an old CD..if it scratches that it is not safe to use on your paint.
Do the ends curl= low quality.
MF is to be wash with only MF in warm or hot water. If using laundry detergent make sure it is free of fabric softners, fragrances, etc. If it takes a full cup for a load then use 3/4 of a cup. Do not use dryer sheets..I prefer the new dryer *****.
Remember, fabric softners are silicone. The clog the ends of fabric and make them less absorbant and can make them mar paint.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:40 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey 3DOG, You were right about the Liquid Luster wax I use. It has petroleum products in it. It says it on the back. Why did you tell me not to use wax with petroleum in it? What should I use? Any easy to get brands? Should I use ScratchX on it every time before I wax it?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:22 AM
3Dog
Tourer

ScratchX should only be used as needed. Polishing is smoothing. In order to smooth you are removing some clearcoat. Although is is very slight by hand there should still be a limit to how much you do.
Petroleum content can have varing amounts. Stronger amounts can remove glazes and sealants. You may never have a problem if there is nothing underneath it.
If you have tried it and like the look then I would not rush out and buy more products.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:04 PM
mtdave2
Cruiser

black is the worst for this! its the #2 reason i painted my bike purple pearl. #1 was everyone and their brother has a black harely!

i never did find anything that would stop the scratching.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:04 AM
wamp
Intermediate

I have had black corvettes and black has always been the hardest to keep clean and looking great. I have a friend that is a proffesional car detailer the process descibed is one that I do every six months.

If someone would explain how to add a file I will post it.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:56 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are using dirty rags. I typically will go through 8 or 10 MF towels during a wash and dry. If one touches the ground I move on to another. No 5 second rule here.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:41 AM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

ORIGINAL: brihvac

Hey 3DOG, You were right about the Liquid Luster wax I use. It has petroleum products in it. It says it on the back. Why did you tell me not to use wax with petroleum in it? What should I use? Any easy to get brands? Should I use ScratchX on it every time before I wax it?
I thought you said you hadn't waxed it yet!
*confused*

Old 09-10-2007, 09:13 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

carnuba wax....mothers detailing products....my painter gave me some stuff called plum crazy...they use it as a final buff....takes out all the fine surface scratches and gives a deep mirror gloss ....a good wax should work fine....clean cotton cloths only!

Old 09-11-2007, 05:52 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You have to get the dust and dirt off it first. Otherwise you're just scraping it across the paint. If it's only dust, use a California Duster before your detailer. If it's dirt, wash it first.
By the way, I have a vivid black '92 FXRS. In a certain light. like a flashlight in the dark, you can see scratches. But in daylight, not. And after 15 years and 130,000 miles it's entitled to a few scractches.

Quick Reply: Tired of this Vivid Black