Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Wax not Polish

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:55 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wax not Polish

I guess this is a poll about waxes, and in particular carnuba waxes. I am curious to know who uses em, how often, and how many coats are applied.

Do you try and build up layers of wax, and how long does it last.

Do you think it leaves a hard protective glaze, or do you find it comes off as easily as it goes on.

I like the Harly carnuba wax, but I'm not sure what % of carnuba is in it. The most I have seen in a product is 60% in the Swissvax Divine, but thats about $260 for 18oz. I think most quality carnuba waxes are 20% to 30% by volume.

WB

Old 08-01-2007, 03:08 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Wax not Polish

hard poll .... sooooo many choices. I do use carnuba and depends on a few things:

1> how often I'm washing my bike
2> time constraints.

During the winter/spring months when we have more consistant rain (and I ride pretty much every day unless there is snow/ice) I might wash my bike twice a week and put on 1 coat of wax (knowing I'm going to be rewashing soon).

During Summer months when I might wash once or twice a month I put on 2 coats (providing there is time).

Just depends on how often I am going to wash it.

Wax comes off easily with the wash so no real 'residue' left after washing it. Sometimes I will use the Harley Glaze Polish and Sealant.

For real waxing, I'm currently using the S100 carnuba wax. It is a combination of carnuba and beeswax. I really don't know the 'content' percentage of carnuba in it... but it is priced around $16 for 6.2oz. If you want a GREAT shine .... the S100 will certainly give it to you. goes on easy.. comes off easy .. no residue... get some at your local HD shop. You will be pretty happy with it I'm sure (unless you already use it. Wasn't sure if you meant you are using the S100 wax from HD or a different carnuba wax that HD itself puts out).

Old 08-01-2007, 05:52 PM
harleydude1976
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a misconception that you can layer carnuba wax. To get technical a coat of wax is .0000001 inch thick and that is all that will sit on your clear coat wheather you put 1 coat or 10 coats. Many polymer(synthetic) based products can be layered and will protect for much longer.

I don't expect that anyone who has been layering wax for sometime will change there ways, but one good one is all that sticks.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Chief101
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Pinnacle wax with the quick detailer between waxes.....looks great on blace.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:05 AM
3Dog
Tourer

Wax as needed. And thats has everything to do with the quality of the wax. As stated above trying to layer is "almost" usless. Two layer of wax or sealant is fine. The only reason I say two is for the second to catch any missed places insuring good coverage.
Remember labels are important. Lots of people today are calling polymers a wax. There are also many blended carnaubawith polymers. Zaino calls their sealants a polish.
Its the content not the name thats important.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:17 PM
detailshop
4th Gear

3 Dog has it right.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:19 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master

I have sent several emails to Harly wax and their dealers asking what % by volume of carnauba is in their product and they just blow me off, so I assume that it cannot be that high.

It does give good results but dosent last very long, so I have just ordered some Zymol Hand-Craftedâ„¢ Titanium Carnauba Wax which contains about 51% yellow carnauba by volume.

WB

Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 AM
3Dog
Tourer

Its no so much the volume as it is the grade of carnauba. Also, if I recall Harly "wax" is a synthetic.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:47 PM
hooked
Advanced

I am a fanatic when it comes to paint protection,especially in the tropics where i live. If you go to most mc dealers in this country you will see them using silicone based furniture polish on new out of the crate harleys. IMHO this is a case of dollars over quality future paint protection. I only use carnauba wax and a detail spray with microfibre cloths. Check out www.bowdensown.com.au , not so much for THEIR products, but the washing process and the methods used. I have no afilliation with this company but after using the produsts i will never have abrasive polishes near mt paint again. After i bought the products for my car i hesitated for fear of hard work rubbing polishing etc. WRONG, absolute breeze to use.(any other companies out there tell you less is best)

Old 08-22-2007, 07:55 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 3Dog

Its no so much the volume as it is the grade of carnauba. Also, if I recall Harly "wax" is a synthetic.
Harly wax states its pure No1 yellow carnauba, as does the titanium stuff. Going to give it a try today.

Quick Reply: Wax not Polish