Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Wax not Polish

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Junebug
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wax not Polish

IF you check some of the car enthusiast sites you will learn a lot about paint protection. Most recommend at least two coats of a synthetic glaze like Klasse allowing for several hours of curing time between applications and then a minimum of two coats of good carnuba, P21S or Pinnacle, these two carnuba waxes are consistantly ranked as the best, the S100 brand is made by the same people as P21S but they tell me that they are not the same wax even though they come in the same container.

I have used the S100 carnubba and it works very well and holds up, just remember that caranuba only lasts about 30 days and must be reapplied.

Synthetic glazes can last up to 1 year. I try and strip all wax and glaze every 6 months, then use a clay bar to remove imperfections and reapply the synthetic glaze (3 or 4 layers) then three or 4 coats of P21Scaranubua over that. The combination not only protects but gives a deep rich shine that lasts and lasts. Between waxes use a quality detail spray and never use anything on the paint other than a quality microfiber towel.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:07 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I tried the Zymol Hand-Crafted™ Titanium Carnauba Wax, the other day. I will admit that it is by far the best shine I have ever acheived. You rub the wax on with your fingers which warm the wax and assist application, then buff off before it dries. I will have to see if the shine lasts. I also tried it on an old tank I had and it even brought that up and masked all the swirl marks.

I am very impressed with this product, but as to value for money, I'm not sure its worth the $120.00 price tag.

I will continue to use the Harly wax on the chrome as it really does bring it up nicely.

Junebug thanks for the advice, when I get a bit of time over the winter I will try a couple of base coats of a synthetic glaze then wax.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:02 PM
3Dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Klasse AIO must be a base used under Klasse's Sealant Glaze. We have never found more than two coats to add any significance to shine of durability. There is a 12 hour cure time with Klasse SG.

Polishes remove imperfections.
Clay remove surface contaimanants.
Quality waxes such as Zymol, Victoria andPinnacle have given us up to 90 days on garaged bikes.