Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

How often do you wax and polish?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006 | 02:33 AM
3Dog
Tourer
Default RE: How often do you wax and polish?

I think most everyone would want a clean shiny bike everytime they go riding. Not sure what you mean?
ORIGINAL: Sporty_Quij

I use EagleOne sprayon Nanowax every other day on the paint and use diaper soft towels to smooth it out. Every Sunday, I polish the chrome with Turtle Wax Platinum all metal polish and use those diaper towels to apply and wipe off. Why wouldn't you want to have a sparkling bike every time you take it out?

Old 10-10-2006 | 03:50 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Always used to use the Eagle One but this is great stuff.

http://www.wizardsproducts.com/index.html

Old 11-05-2006 | 02:00 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member

I only wash as needed as I do not ride in crappy wet weather unless I get caught in it. If the weather is nice I will wash to make my neighbors jealous, I may dust it off on occasion.

Tom

Old 11-05-2006 | 06:48 PM
FatIndy
Intermediate

Once a week. Sometimes twice. Then I have to take it out and show it off.

Old 11-24-2006 | 12:17 AM
Ole Geezer
Cruiser

Unless caught in the rain while out riding, I don't ride in the rain. I refuse to ride on dirt roads. That being said my bike rarely gets what I would call "Dirty". The bugs are easy to deal with. I use cotton baby diapers: Soak em in HOT water and lay them on the windshield and any other areas that have bugs on them. Wait about 2 minutes and wipe them right off - easy. I wash the bike about once a month - more to get the "Dust" off it then anything else. It is 2 years old and looks great. I have never waxed it as I would rather ride then wax a bike.

One of these YEARS I may invest in some wax,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, naaaaa. lol

Ole Geezer

Old 11-26-2006 | 03:52 PM
chrism84
Advanced

i love cleaning my baby....i wax her maybe once or twice a week,,,,, i wax everything...the chrome paint alluminiom.....wax will help protect ewverything from the element and make everything look real nice everyone.....i dont use polish b/c ihear that the polish actually takes coats of protection of the paints and chrome everytime you use it....so i avoid that....ill start from the back and work my way foward...and top to bottm on the bike.....ALL s100 except WAX i use mothers.............anyone know r have a good way to clean the cylinders and the cyclinder heads.....they are SILVER not black

Old 11-26-2006 | 04:33 PM
3Dog
Tourer

First off..waxing is a very good thing.......but... a sealant will last longer...and... If you never clay, never polish, then you are waxing over the contaimanants that settle on the paint. If you ride your bike it should be, at the very least, polished twice a year....better would be to clay and polish.....then a sealant for protection and if you want more pop, a coat of wax.

Old 11-26-2006 | 09:45 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

Early spring I get it out wash it really good, wax and polish it, then I ride. I usally only wash it once a month unless its really dirty or if I get caught in the rain, maybe every other week I spray some S100 on and wipe it down real good. Then usally in November or December I give it another good washing and waxing. That way its clean when I put it away and when I ride on those rare 40 degree winter days Im lookin good while doin so. Come sprin do it all over again.

Old 01-17-2010 | 08:34 AM
mugsy19
Advanced

+1 for the Honda Cleaner. Stuff is amazing. After every ride.

Old 01-17-2010 | 08:50 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member

I ride the wheels off my bike but it also looks about new with 42,000 miles on it in 2 1/2 years. And i try to keep up with the cleanning but sometimes it goes longer than it should. A micro fiber like the Ultimate cloth will take the bugs right off after a ride that helps keep her clean.

AS for a complete big job wash and wax typiically i do that at the beginning of the season and also polish it with Mequires scratch X2.o brings back the shine and gets the dull areas back to normal. Then two or more good coats of wax. I will repeat this agian about middle of the season and then at the start of riding season agian. This is an all day project to get done.

During the summer if it needs washed it gets washed and waxed sometimes using the spray wax doing this good wash and quick blow down with the air compressor and spray wax i can do in about 3 to 4 hours. And sometimes it just gets a wash down. Usually these are the days when its a down pour outside and i decided not to go riding.