Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

How often do you wax and polish?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006 | 07:50 PM
Harleyglide
Cruiser
Default RE: How often do you wax and polish?

Thats what im going to do pronto

Old 09-17-2006 | 10:31 PM
Harleyglide
Cruiser

Well i went back,most stuff is gone .Hey 3 bucks for quality stuff may be more at your big lots,got few more bottles plus the wax???[]

Old 09-18-2006 | 01:21 AM
3Dog
Tourer

If you Big Lots is like mine, they may be behind another product or moved somewhere else. With Big Lots you have to Look Hard!

Old 09-18-2006 | 12:20 PM
Harleyglide
Cruiser

Im going to try a differant one i got only one of the wax ,need about two more then im set wasnt sure about the wheel one

Old 09-18-2006 | 12:44 PM
anubisss
Banned

I just wipe it down after each ride and use spray polish once a week. keeps it quite clean. this way I don't need to wask/wax it all the time. It is clean. Washed it once since ownership, and boy was that a lot of work. 1 hour per week does me fine. see.

Old 09-18-2006 | 02:28 PM
lawdog
Advanced

I wash it about every two weeks with the Mr. Clean spray wash, leaf blow dry, wax it, and wipe the chrome down with a damp towel. Keeps it looking good and takes me about an hour to do. If I neglect it for a couple of weeks or its been buggy then it will take me a couple of hours and I will polish the chrome.

Old 09-25-2006 | 10:37 AM
fatrob
Cruiser

Wipe off the bugs and give her a quick polish after every single ride. Gets a real detailing prob every week.

I find the cleaning/polishing of the bike to be really therapeutic - just me and the machine in the garage....nearly (but not quite!) as good as the ride.

Old 09-25-2006 | 09:41 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

I've probably washed it a lot more than I've spent riding it this year. Seems that it would just kill some shops to spray a bit of S100 (or other cleaner) on it and hose it down after their 'Techs' have put their greasey/oily/donut/pizza soaked hands all over it.

I try not to wax it very much. Same with chrome polish. Too abrasive to use on a regular basis. I just give it a good wash, lots of water (and beer for me), hit it with the blower (more beer), then finish it with a microfiber towel (more...well gotta admire it). On the occasion when I do have a water spot, I just damp towel it and dry it with the microfiber.

It's almost 14 years old, and I still get lots of compliments on it.

Old 09-26-2006 | 11:58 AM
3Dog
Tourer

What type of polish are you using? Polishing is done to smooth the paint, increasing the clarity and optics. To smooth you remove. Clearcoat is very thin and probably should not be polished more than 3 times max a year.
ORIGINAL: fatrob

Wipe off the bugs and give her a quick polish after every single ride. Gets a real detailing prob every week.

I find the cleaning/polishing of the bike to be really therapeutic - just me and the machine in the garage....nearly (but not quite!) as good as the ride.

Old 09-27-2006 | 01:28 AM
Sporty_Quij
Stage III

I use EagleOne sprayon Nanowax every other day on the paint and use diaper soft towels to smooth it out. Every Sunday, I polish the chrome with Turtle Wax Platinum all metal polish and use those diaper towels to apply and wipe off. Why wouldn't you want to have a sparkling bike every time you take it out?

Quick Reply: How often do you wax and polish?