Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

How often do you wax and polish?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006 | 07:17 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Default RE: How often do you wax and polish?

I don't have a lot of things to do with my time. I polish my bike, chrome included at least every other wash job. I spend at least 2 hours each time.

Old 07-12-2006 | 09:59 PM
Calicruiser
Cruiser

I wash and wax every 3-4 rides with daipers only no bath towels. Keeping wax/polish on the parts makes it easier to get bugs and grime off. I also use chrome polish and a quetip to get the nooks and crannies. Usually takes 2-3 hours.

She sure is purty when she's all done up though!!!!![sm=Awwww.gif][sm=Awwww.gif]

Old 07-13-2006 | 12:16 AM
Steele
Cruiser

After every time I wash.

Old 08-29-2006 | 02:16 AM
Sporty883Low
Intermediate

i wax once a month and polish every weekend, wash after every ride. The best polish for chrome/aluminum on your bike is "never dull" wadding cloth. I use it on my 69 Impala show car and have won trophies with it. try it out.

Old 09-01-2006 | 11:18 PM
buffdaddy
6th Gear

Hmmm...pretty loaded question to get a lot of opinions. Might suggest one good water wash and then blow dry all the water off. Use a real good paste wax at the beginning of the season and just prior to winter storage if you store it, Meguiars is great stuff. Use a good spray on detail wax once every couple of weeks if needed, it works well to clean water spots also. I usually use a micro fiber towel after a ride to quickly wipe off the dust (two-three minutes). Use regular Isopropyl alcohol on the chrome-since polish is a corrosive, and windex will pit your stuff. Let the alcohol dry, then use a microfiber towel to wipe it. Use invisible glass on your windshield and lights (get at wallyworld or autozone). After the initial extreme clean, you should be able to use the microfiber towel after each ride to wipe off the dust, and use the alcohol on the chrome when needed. Enjoy.

Old 09-06-2006 | 10:53 PM
PSO169
Road Master

I had to ride home in the rain after my fire shift. My Vivid black Ultra looked nasty. I tried the advice from the forum and purchased a Mr. Clean car wash system. I was really impressed on how well that worked. I follow the directions from the Mr. Clean but then finished by using my leaf blower to get the water off the engine area. I hit the tank and fairing with Meguires NXT to help with the bugs.
jeff

Old 09-06-2006 | 11:16 PM
Harleyglide
Cruiser

I bought this stuff called truck gloss,comes in big silver spray bottle cost only 3 bucks 15 at the truck stop it even cleaned the black on the fins leaves great shine on everything on the bike even chrome im going back to get the rest before its gone,got it at big lotsi clean the bike alot since im always working and dont have lot time to ride

Old 09-07-2006 | 12:38 AM
3Dog
Tourer

You are talking about Long Hauls Truck Gloss..it is a synthetic topper (refresher) for their Polish/Wax. It has no cleaners in it. Long Hauls' marketing plan..push to the trucker industry didnt work..hence their products are on closeout at Big Lots. They are actually really good OTC products.

Old 09-07-2006 | 09:46 AM
Harleyglide
Cruiser

Works great for me after all the waxing on this bike i just spray it on ,shines like glass on everything,i know as a semi driver myself i seen it in the truckstops for 15 bucks still great results for 3 bucks

Old 09-07-2006 | 12:19 PM
3Dog
Tourer

If you didnt then you should check back....Pickup the polish, degreasser and tire shine. For the price you cant beat it.

Quick Reply: How often do you wax and polish?