Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

How often do you wax and polish?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006 | 07:12 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: How often do you wax and polish?

I wash my bike almost everytime I ride and wax it everytime, Must have 200 coats of wax!!! LOL

Old 02-23-2006 | 08:56 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member

I do a quick wipe down after every ride, I S-100 wash and wax usually 2 or 3 times a month depending on amount of riding and conditions that rode in. A "total scrubby bubble bath" at least once every 2 months. By this I mean taking off all the quick items washing, waxing, aand polishing every lil nook and cranny. Usually these take 8 or so hours. Quick S-100 and wax takes about 2 hours and wipe down a few mins. Get used to doing it and no issue. Keeps the bike looking good.

Do have to have those long weekend rides where you get caught in rain/mud at the futrherst part away from home. You ride back and then spend hours on end cleaning to get it back to SHINNING NEW. But hey what else you going to do??

Old 03-11-2006 | 04:41 AM
vrodcp
6th Gear

I JUST WIPE MINE DOWN WITH MCQUIRES DETAILER AND COVER IT UP TIL THE NEXT WEEK END

Old 03-11-2006 | 02:48 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

Right now, I'm riding in the rain seems like daily.

It gets washed by the road... I got it in late November and have washed it 1 time so far, detail spray maybe 4 or 5 times.

It its nice enough out to be washing, its nice enough to be riding for me! Guess what I'd rather do.

On the down side, I now have a dull spot on each tank side where my chaps rub. Not sure yet what to do with that or how to stop it from coming back.

Old 03-25-2006 | 08:59 AM
kytown2
Advanced

For some of us, detailing our bikes give us the same about of relaxation as riding. I love to ride my bike and drive my 79 Vette. I must admit I love detailing them just as much.

One positive about detailing your bike....some cager is not trying to kill you while your doing it.

Old 03-25-2006 | 09:21 AM
103FLHX
Road Master

S100 is great. Use it all the time. Gives bike a good clean in 15 mins.

Detailed cleaning, 2-3 times a season, usually after an overnighter, where she is a little extra dirty.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-11-2006 | 02:24 AM
BlueDeuce
Cruiser

Wash when dirty after riding in rain or trips to the beach on the sand. I use McGuires quick detail spray mist to clean up when she's a little dirty, that takes off bugs and fine particles without scratching and enhances the wax. Polish and wax paint twice a year with McGuires step 2 polish and step 3 wax. Polish chrome with eagle one never dull once a week or when needed.

To clean entire bike using the quick detail plus chrome polish takes about 1 1/2 hours. Add another 30 minutes to wash and another 30 minutes if I have to polish and wax. I love having two whole square feet of paint, It's that 40 yards of chrome that kills me!

Old 04-11-2006 | 12:42 PM
3Dog
Tourer

We have found S100 (Total Cycle Cleaner) to be a little harsh for regular use. It tends to deminish the protection ( wax, etc) that has been applied. For a quick spray wash try Eagle One Bucketless Wash. You can normally find this at Auto Zone.

Old 04-14-2006 | 01:04 AM
MrD
Tourer

Yep.. Clean her lightly after each ride in the pm. Made it a rule and it is SUPER easy to keep the detail up by spending 15 to 30 mins vs. long hours once a month or whatever!. Suggest using the california duster after wiping off buggies and things. I use two of them, One is for the paint and the other is for the wheels. Gets those babies shiny enought for the next day and gets rid of that brake dust!! Happy Cleaning to ya...

Old 04-14-2006 | 02:37 PM
grape ape
Tourer

What's a "California Duster"??

Quick Reply: How often do you wax and polish?