Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Best soap to wash the bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:25 AM
Hog_fever
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best soap to wash the bike

I will second the Mr.Clean product. Miracle soap. Paint and chrome scream! Never seen anything like it. Spray on the soap, wash her down, rinse with the filtered water and walk away. Dries spot free. Looks like I spent all weekend detailing my bike.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:51 AM
3Dog
Tourer

Big Lots still has the Mr Clean "system" for 5 bucks. It makes a great paperweight.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:22 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm no expert here but it's my understanding that one of the big offenders for leaving spots is calcium in the water. I understand that this is why dishwashing machine detergent manufacturers (for dishwashers) use what's known as "Calgonite" (calcium-gone-ite) in the soap to stop water spotting.

We had a prior discussion about "surfactants" (surface active agents.) Calgonite is another of thoseI suppose.

We have snow-melt well water atour housethat comes from high in the Cascade Mountains and I don't get water spots. It's also the best tasting, coldest, clearest water I've ever had to drink and that includes bottled water. It's 300 feet deep in a fracture in solid granite.

If I had a water source that caused spotting, I'd be interested in that filter that Mr. Clean uses to remove minerals. I suppose the general idea is a good one.

I also wonder if there is calgonitein the soap...

Of course I blow my bike off after washing so a lot of water doesn't just stand there. My experience is unique so I can't say what's best for others.

I wonder though, since dishwasher soap is pretty effective for eliminating spots or at least reducing them as a worst case, if a Mr. Clean type of system might not have something going for it.

More questions than answers here - can't really say.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:47 AM
sknyfats
Road Captain

I use a product called Bike Brite (sp?). Similar to some of the other products, you just spritz it all over a cool bike, let it set for a moment or two - but don't let it dry - and then rinse it off.

I follow that with a good blow dry - then spot dry it.

About once a month - I use some kind of wax product - light blue - begins with a Z - on all the paint - and then use some chrome cleaner/polish on the chrome. Leaves it looking really nice for about 2 weeks with only dusting being done as needed. I'll wash it again with just the Bike Brite (no way or chrome cleaner/polish) as needed prior to the once a month cleaning or after a rain.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:23 PM
fatstreetglide
Novice

Zymol is the blueish colored wax and it is the best stuff I have used so far. Bike or cage.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the Mr. Clean stuff. It works great on paint, but I still wind up with water spots on the chrome for some reason. I'm really not too worried about water spots, though, because I detail my bike afterwards with the Harley spray polish. I'll continue to use the Mr. Clean product because it works fine on the bikes and I use it on our other vehicles also.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:03 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We have a pressure washer since between kids and hobbies we have6 different things to wash every week in the summer plus in thefall during hunting season lots of mud to wash off. so a pressure washer made since for us. I buy the cheaper auto wash at walmart can find it on sale for 2.50 a gallon which is good since the washer uses it quickly. it leaves water spots but our water is hard here in Oklahoma. I dont really mind since my wife's mustang i hand was anyway afterwards just use the washer to wet it and spray it off. I do the same with the bike. then i dry both too. I am thinking going to the Mr clean wash for the bike though sometimes i dont have time to dry everything.
oh i also use spray detailing wax every so often on the cars and pretty often on the bike since the paint takes more of a beating. I also got the wax on close out at walmart for 2 dollars a bottle normally 10 bucks I picked up 2 cases.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Meguires NXT car wash soap and then rinse with with regular water and then use the Mr Clean device with the filter to rinse again and then blow dry.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4934/0F0210EA5F784E4AB98A04F4D3F5F398.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Chrizzby
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I usea mild soap, and once in a while when I get caught in the rain ( you do ride in the rain? ) I'll use the S-100 ansd rince it right off, then wash it. S-100 is a stripper so you will have to WAX your ride after that use. Get it dirty it's not a garage trophy is it ?oh you want to show it to your special friends.

Enjoy &ride safe

Chrizzby

Old 08-27-2007, 01:00 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mr. Clean Auto Dry system is the cat's meow. A big time saver. Wash it, rinse it, hit it with the spot free rinse and let it dry overnight. It looks like you spent hours detailing it the next day.

Quick Reply: Best soap to wash the bike