Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Questions for 3Dog

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 07:48 PM
deluxe
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Questions for 3Dog

3Dog,
Without doubt you are 'The Man' in this area. Your advise is spot on and invaluable when it comes to keeping our rides looking great. I am about to order some of that master formula after seeing you signiture picture. That chrome just blings! This bring me to me fist question.

1. Do I just need the Master Metal polish and the Sealer? Whats the other one for?

2. I recenly bought the Meguires three step system. I have a 06 B&W Deluxe that I have yet not done anything with the paint. I have small light rub marks on either side of the tank from my knees, and very verylight scratches elsewhere. Will the Meguires do the trick to lose them and give me that deep wet look paint job we all want. I don't mind paying out for a good quality product but there is a limit.

3. Other than the obvious, two buckets, wash mit, MF towels, Bike stand, Workshop creeper, ez brushes, pimpstixx, good quality cleaning products. Is there anything that you could'nt do without, a must have when your detailing bikes.

Good to hear from a professional. I know your help and advice always goes down well in this section.

Thankyou in advance.

Rob.

Trying to keep it clean in the UK.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:36 AM
3Dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Questions for 3Dog

First off, thank you for the compliment. After 29 years of detailing professionally I would like to think I have learn a few things. But, I have also learned some things on here....such as Doc Baileys. What a great find that was!!
If you are going to order Master Formula polish then yes go ahead and get the Sealer also. The bottle states it can be used on paint too.
If I remember correctly the Meguiars 3-part system was a polish, glaze and liquid wax (?). That should do you fine if the are no major defects. On the polish I would use a MF applicator. It will have more bite and be able to correct better. I would also invest in a clay bar to remove surface contaminants. A normal clay bar can be divided into about 5 or6 pieces (never use a whole clay bar at once). You will definately feel a difference in the smothness of the paint and be ready for your polish.
With the MF towels be sure some are waffle weave towels that you can use for drying. Remember to wash MF without any fabric softner and seperate from other types of towels. Try to stick with 16X16 inch towels for bikes. WW MF may be hard to find in that size so get small as possible....16X24 should be readily available.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:43 PM
deluxe
Cruiser

Thanks for replying so quick.

This may be another dumb *** question but, what is clay? What does it do, and how best do you use it. I'm in the UK and don't know if I can get hold of it. Can I order it online from anywhere.

There have been quite a few posts here saying that polish and wax should be applied and removed in sraight lines rather than in a circular motion. Is there any truth in this.

Again, your advice is always taken on board.

Thankyou yet again,

Rob..

Old 05-14-2007, 01:24 AM
3Dog
Tourer

A clay kit should be avaiable anywhere that you will find polish and wax. Meguiars has a kit. It will have a clay bar and spray lube (normally a quick detailer). Clay removes the things that fall on your paint....pollution. Thats what causes the roughness you feel when you run your hand over your paint. Its as simple as spray the lube on the paint, rubbing the claying back and forth and then wiping clean. Personally I clay as I wash....wash, rinse, clay with soapy water, rinse again.
I see not truth in the straight line theory. The say straight lines stops swirls. Swirls are basicallly scratches. If you are doing something to scratch it will makes no difference how your hand is moving.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:50 PM
deluxe
Cruiser

Thanks 3dog,

So I wash, clay, wash, dry, polish, wax. Is that right?

Sorry, this must seem tedious to you. You can probably detail a bike with your eyes shut!

Thaks again,

Regards

Rob

Old 05-15-2007, 01:39 AM
3Dog
Tourer

That is correct.[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 05-15-2007, 05:02 PM
deluxe
Cruiser

Thankyou 3Dog, your help really is appreciated.

Thanks again

Rob

Old 05-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Oldshep
Intermediate

3Dog. I would like to thank you for all you contribute to this forum. You are always willing to help us that are not full time detailers to keep our rides looking good.
Once again Thank You!