Custom Models All custom bikes.

softail bagger with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:35 PM
barl
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default softail bagger with a twist

Hi all, been a long time chopper rider and love every second of it , well accept for the occasional break down, but decided I needed something me and the wife could head across country with and be a bit more comfortable.
Now with me being an old school chopper guy diving into a full dresser just didn't seem right, Now there are definitely a lot of kick *** baggers out there but i wanted to combine my love of choppers, drag racing, and a bagger all into one ride.

So the search began, first priority, a big *** engine, second that chopper kinda style, third big enough to be comfortable for the long haul.
As luck would have it I ran across just what i was looking for, cheaper than buying all the parts separately and local as well.

It's a War eagle drop seat frame, Ultima 127" engine, 6 speed RSD trans, BDL open 3" primary, most everything else is about to change.

Attached Thumbnails softail bagger with a twist-the-start.jpg  
Old 02-23-2013, 09:04 PM
barl
Intermediate
Default comfort is a virtue

First thing needed doing is making the wife comfortable , yes it was part of the deal, so a new rear fender and seat were in order. couldn't have her bouncing off the bitch pad stuck on a swingarm mounted fender now could we.

So I picked up a wide *** fender blank on the net, got some 3/8" steel plate from the local supply house and proceeded to bang out a set of frame mounted fender struts, welded them to the fender drilled and taped the frame and there ya go one frame mounted fender.

Attached Thumbnails softail bagger with a twist-fender-left.jpg  
Old 02-23-2013, 09:12 PM
barl
Intermediate
Default seat

Next we needed a nice comfortable seat. so with sheet steel in hand a ball peen hammer, sand bag and an old stump (did I mention no fancy equipment here) I pounded out a new seat pan.

Attached Thumbnails softail bagger with a twist-under-construction-seat-pan.jpg  
Old 02-23-2013, 09:19 PM
barl
Intermediate
Default lots of padding

Now I know there are lots of very tallented seat builders out there that could do a far better job than I but I love a challenge and besides the wife needed a new sewing machine.
So we took a trip to the local fabric store picked up some good quality material and 6" foam padding, after about a week we have 1 new seat, well about 90% done anyhow.

Attached Thumbnails softail bagger with a twist-seat.jpg  
Old 02-23-2013, 09:28 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I am signing up for this just to see how it all turns out.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:33 PM
barl
Intermediate
Default sissy bar

No old school chopper would be complete without a sissy bar right. one big problem though, Ever tried to buy a 14" wide sissy bar (.300 wide tire) not anywhere that I found, and one other thing living in michigan most your life you learn to hate rust and corrosion. the solution, buy a stick of 3/4" stainless steel bar stock and have a talk with your local blacksmith , My design his forge.

Hummm seems upload file keeps failing, try to post pic. later

Last edited by barl; 02-23-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 PM
barl
Intermediate
Default handlebars

Now that the wife is just about all set it's my turn, the handlebars that came with the bile were ok but didn't fit me so I scouted around and picked up a set of stainless steel (the rust thing again) V bars from gregs parts and acc.

All internal wiring including throttle by wire (more on that later)

Attached Thumbnails softail bagger with a twist-newbars.jpg  
Old 02-23-2013, 09:49 PM
barl
Intermediate

thanks NDBadlands4-2
it's been an adventure so far.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:58 PM
barl
Intermediate
Default front end

Being a chopper guy most my life I have always loved the springer front end but really wanted something a bit different so after lots of looking around we decided on the American Suspension sabertooth springer.

one thing and the deciding factor on American Suspension was they have roller bearings in the rockers and there American made

Attached Thumbnails softail bagger with a twist-springer2.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 12:44 PM
barl
Intermediate
Default front fender and brakes

riding an old school chopper does come with an unpleasant price, Rain....
anyone remember getting stuck in the rain with No front fender??
Ohhh the joys of riding leaned over while the roostertail of water off the front tire streams over your shoulder. well none of that this time around.

But the springer does not have provisions for mounting a fender. I did look into the clamp type mounts that clamp around the fork tubes but wanted to keep the clean look . why bother with hidden brake lines and all if yer just going to put these bulky clamps on it.

So I thought why not mount the fender right on the brake calipers themselves, this would allow you to mount the fender close to the tire and would travel with the suspension.. But wait dammit the front wheel is only set up for a single disk brake..Ok i'll just get another disk mount hub from the Mfg...**** the Mfg. no longer make there own wheels and the hub is not available... now what...

Well with me being in industrial maintenance for many many years I have gotten pretty handy with lathes and mills so I picked up a chunk of 4" aluminum billet and got busy..Now the lathe i'm working with is no CNC controlled machine were talking an old 1947 lablond all gear banging manual control
After about 2 days work in my spare time I had one new hub machined to .0015 total runout, should be plenty close enough.

As for the brake calipers themselves I chose the performance machine springer calipers But still needed a way to mount the fender to the calipers, So I picked up a piece of aircraft quality aluminum flat stock the same thickness and the center section of the calipers and machined a new center section with all the screw holes and fluid passages But extended it upwards for mounting the fender to.

Attached Thumbnails softail bagger with a twist-floating-f-fendersmall.jpg   softail bagger with a twist-f-fender-mount.jpg  

Quick Reply: softail bagger with a twist