Custom Models All custom bikes.

73 Ironhead bobber..

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011 | 04:37 PM
RoadPirate
|
6th Gear
Default 73 Ironhead bobber..

I got a 73 Ironhead Spostster and i did all the metal work on the frame and am at the point when should i get the motor rebuilt or find a new one and #2 any ideas where i can find one or maybe a upgrade thatll fit? tryin to figure out the best and most affordable way to finish.. Any ideas? And starter should it stay or go? i know if i get rid of it i can run cleaner pipe set up.. Ideas or sujestions?

Old 02-15-2011 | 02:54 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer

Originally Posted by RoadPirate
I got a 73 Ironhead Spostster and i did all the metal work on the frame and am at the point when should i get the motor rebuilt or find a new one and #2 any ideas where i can find one or maybe a upgrade thatll fit? tryin to figure out the best and most affordable way to finish.. Any ideas? And starter should it stay or go? i know if i get rid of it i can run cleaner pipe set up.. Ideas or sujestions?

BIG question is , Did the bike run before it was tore down??? If you know anything about the engine, that will be of great benifit to you.
It the engine still together?

How many miles, did it smoke, knock, leak, does it have decent compression???
My guess is if it is all there and you can turn it over by hand it will be cheaper to have it gone through by a competent engine builder/shop.
Re use all parts that you can.
A good shop can tell you if the heads and valves,pistons, can be reused, etc,etc. It engine is all there and still together you can do a compression check your self.
If it were me and the bike has an elec. start I would keep IT. If you are planning on riding it elec is the way to go. If you want it more show than go, then strip everything off . IMO

The first thing I would recommend is a good service manual, then search for a good engine rebuild manual for harley sportster. You will need head and valve work. I think your bike was used in the leaded fuel days ,hardend seats at least.

Last edited by ZZZCICI; 02-15-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: add last sentence