Custom Models All custom bikes.

Title for frame but nothing else

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 12:46 AM
Big J
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Title for frame but nothing else

I'm posting this here under customs because I dont know where else to put it.

If I have a title for a 77 HD soft tail frame, or any bike for that matter, that I bought from someone out of state can I title it in my own name with completely new guts without any problem. Is there something I should be aware of? Seems easy enough but I dont want any problems at DMV.

I know different states have different laws when it comes to this but any info on this would help. Personally, I live in NY.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:59 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts
Default RE: Title for frame but nothing else

Coupla things, here. First, HD didn't make a Softail in 1977. I'm s'posin' you mean a swingarm frame, which was the only type of frame they have made since the first Duo-Glide in the late '50s. A bike is generally titled by the frame VIN, no matter what state you're in. Exception would be for an older bike that had no frame number; then it'll be titled by the engine number. So, yes you should be able to title the bike by the frame VIN. But, any other part that goes on the bike will probably need a paper trail, as in receipts. And the engine will definitely need good numbers/receipts 'cause there are some law-dogs who still think the engine and frame numbers must match. When I built my first bike it was titled as a Corbin Gentry XLCH 'cause of the frame, but the engine was an HD XLCH, with HD numbers. I carried the old title for the engine with my registration. Had to show it numerous times, and usually had a hassle explaining all the details. Find out what your state requires, get it in writing, and memorize the most important details. Then build the bike and hash it out with the Motor Vehicle beaurecrats.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:18 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,520 Posts

BigJ, not to dispute what pococj said but starting in 1970 HD started stamping frame numbers which matched the engine number. Should look something like.... 1A 10000 HO.....1A (model), 10000 (sequential production number), H (manufactured by Harley), 0 (year. 0 =70 1=71, 2=72). In Santa Clara County, Kalif, you can only get a blue tag as a special construction on a 70 and later bike if the frame and motor do not match.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Big J
4th Gear

d

Old 09-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Big J
4th Gear

Thanks for the posts guys. I guess my question is: if I title the frame like its an existing bike how would DMV know (outside of the inspection)? If I put a new motor on it, and had the paper for the motor, would anyone really care. That is, once I get it through inspection.

To be honest I dont have an engine or a frame yet (I just threw a number in there), Im trying to figure out the best way to build a bike on my own with the least amount of problems from DMV

Old 09-12-2006, 08:40 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: panz4ever

BigJ, not to dispute what pococj said but starting in 1970 HD started stamping frame numbers which matched the engine number. Should look something like.... 1A 10000 HO.....1A (model), 10000 (sequential production number), H (manufactured by Harley), 0 (year. 0 =70 1=71, 2=72). In Santa Clara County, Kalif, you can only get a blue tag as a special construction on a 70 and later bike if the frame and motor do not match.
I'd heard some of the neo-**** counties do that! That's why you need to check with your local office and see what they are going to require. You do not want any surprises!

Old 10-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

ORIGINAL: Big J...If I have a title for a 77 HD soft tail frame, or any bike for that matter, that I bought from someone out of state can I title it in my own name with completely new guts without any problem. Is there something I should be aware of? Seems easy enough but I don't want any problems at DMV...
I don't know about NY, but in Michigan you could probably take the title to any secretary of state's office and get it re-issued. I know that I've done this with automobiles. They don't inspect if you've got an existing title. In state or out state. Pay the tax, Pay for the title origination fee...seven days later it's in the mailbox. Now if you don't have any paperwork, you'll have to get an 'assembled' vehicle title...Which does require an inspection by the local LEO's. They'll run any VIN's they see against stolen goods. Best to have paperwork for everything you've 'assembled' into the bike. Keep those dang receipts!!!

I'm rebuilding a 76 Jeep CJ5...It has all new sheet metal on it and a Mustang 5.0 going in later this year. I've got the title (in my name) and the original VIN body plates. So when it comes time to get a license, all I should have to do is get some insurance and pick up my tags. Although....To be 'perfectly legal' in accordance with the Motor Vehicle Code...I should get an assembler's title for it.