Custom Models All custom bikes.

You can build your own custom.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:08 AM
dhweber1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was time for wires. Look at that photo. It is scary isn’t it?

Actually, wiring is not that hard. It is time consuming and you have to double check yourself constantly. I purchased this little unit from Thunder Heart and all of the wires for the bike go through it. It requires only that you mount a 30 Amp fuse or circuit breaker between it and the battery.

In addition, there was a Thunder Heart ignition control module which I mounted under the tank. Sorry. No photo was taken of that. That module works in conjunction with the Thunder Heart coil and the ignition system is programmable with a lap top computer. This is definitely a first class system and my hat is off to the folks at Thunder Heart. Check out their web site at http://www.thunder-heart.com/Home.html.

Attached Thumbnails You can build your own custom.-img_1892.jpg   You can build your own custom.-img_2096.jpg   You can build your own custom.-img_2094.jpg  
Old 07-11-2010, 08:57 AM
dhweber1
Cruiser

Here are some photos of the finished product. Some details I did not go into are the Küryakyn signal light/mirror assemblies, the Küryakyn bullet tail lights, the custom license plate bracket/ tail light assembly, the Jay Brake forward controls, the Joker Machine hydraulic clutch, the chrome hand controls, the PM brakes, etc. etc. etc.

I sent the rear fender braces, the shifter arm and the rear wheel adjusters to Chromemasters in Nashville, TN. for chroming. They did a nice job. Look them up at http://www.chromemasters.com/.

I received the frame on July 6, 2007 and I started the bike for the first time on February 24, 2010. As I said, I was not in a hurry and I was able to pay for everything as I went along. The handling of this machine has exceeded my expectations so my hat is off to Paughco. If you read this entire thread, my hat is off to you too.

Attached Thumbnails You can build your own custom.-img_2277.jpg   You can build your own custom.-img_2276.jpg  
Old 07-11-2010, 05:10 PM
limj23
Cruiser

Great job!! Im right behind you

Attached Thumbnails You can build your own custom.-primary-installed.jpg  
Old 07-11-2010, 10:58 PM
dhweber1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by limj23
Great job!! Im right behind you
Thanks. It looks like you are doing well also. The only thing more fun than building it is riding it when you are done.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:48 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You certainly can,my last four bikes have all been ground up built saving huge coin.Last two are are hot rod Road Kings one powered by S&S 124" Evo $16k, the other R&R 155" TwinCam tad over $22k.Bought most of the major chassis parts off Ebay,built the bikes over winter took about 6 months each.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 AM
SixSixRider
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You did a GREAT job on this project!!

I'm not a professional mechanic (just weekend wrencher), or a machinist, or engineer, or anything even remotely related to these.....just an average guy interested in trying to build a bike from scratch. I did a similar project a couple of years ago - starting with a bare frame, working sporadically for ~2yrs nights & weekends, and ending-up with a full-blown custom. While there are things I'd do differently, I'm pretty pleased with my first attempt at something like this....and I learned a hell-of-a-lot along the way!! Specs:

127" show-polished R&R motor
3" Primo open belt primary
6-spd Baker RSD tranny
Pro-One frame (originally softail, but now rigid with struts replacing the shocks)
300mm rear tire
Custom paint (the ONLY part of this project I didn't do myself....I'm not that talented)

Last edited by SixSixRider; 02-09-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:52 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

sharp scoot man nice work!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:08 PM
dhweber1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SixSixRider
You did a GREAT job on this project!!

I'm not a professional mechanic (just weekend wrencher), or a machinist, or engineer, or anything even remotely related to these.....just an average guy interested in trying to build a bike from scratch. I did a similar project a couple of years ago - starting with a bare frame, working sporadically for ~2yrs nights & weekends, and ending-up with a full-blown custom. While there are things I'd do differently, I'm pretty pleased with my first attempt at something like this....and I learned a hell-of-a-lot along the way!! Specs:

127" show-polished R&R motor
3" Primo open belt primary
6-spd Baker RSD tranny
Pro-One frame (originally softail, but now rigid with struts replacing the shocks)
300mm rear tire
Custom paint (the ONLY part of this project I didn't do myself....I'm not that talented)
Thanks for the complement. One nice thing about these projects is that they may never really be done. Even though I am riding this bike now and enjoying it, I still get ideas about maybe making some minor changes. Like you, I also think about more displacement and more horsepower. However that will have to wait for winter because I am enjoying what I have now.

You always learn from these projects, I don't care how much experience you have. From the looks of the photo, you did a superb job on yours so congratulations to you too.

Last edited by dhweber1; 07-15-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Misspelled superb.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:40 PM
dhweber1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dog155
You certainly can,my last four bikes have all been ground up built saving huge coin.Last two are are hot rod Road Kings one powered by S&S 124" Evo $16k, the other R&R 155" TwinCam tad over $22k.Bought most of the major chassis parts off Ebay,built the bikes over winter took about 6 months each.
There is nothing like that satisfaction of building your own. I met someone the other day that had $35,000.00 tied up in a factory built custom and we was not happy with it. I have less than half of that invested and I am pleased with how it turned out. Every time I pull out of the driveway, I get a kick out of knowing that I built this thing.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:41 PM
dhweber1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JRK5892
sharp scoot man nice work!
Thanks for the compliment.

Quick Reply: You can build your own custom.