I would like to build a bobber

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Yoshinkai
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I would like to build a bobber

Hey guys

Im was initially saving to buy a Brass ***** Digger. I got to thinking, however, that if Im going to save for over a year I could just buy the parts as i go and build my own bobber.

Now I have never tried this and Im not expecting the nice people here to walk me through it but if anyone can point me in the right direction with regard to good manuals and web sites im not afraid of a bit of reading =)

I am interrested in basing it on the Brass ***** kind of design so I would like to use the Crazyhorse V-Plus engine its the old Indian Power plus engine with the bugs worked out ( or so they say ). The only thing here is I cant find alot of info about it.

So the second part of my post is whether or not this is a decent engine or what one might suggest

Cheers
Mike

Old 12-14-2009, 10:33 PM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bobbers are the way to go! I like that 2:1 exhaust on that Digger.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Not to drive ya to another forum but for some great inspiration check out www.chopcult.com.

Really helpful site when it comes to chops and bobbers

Old 12-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Dragon5
Tourer

I have been throwing around the idea of trying to build a bike too. I have mechanical ability, bu am no pro by any means. I have been looking at the all inclusive kits you can buy where everything comes in a box, but they seem expensive. 10-20 k for me to build it myself seem a bit much, when I can buy a Sportster with a warranty for less. Does anyone know where to get these things cheaper than that? I like the Sucker Punch Sallys ones and a bunch of others but they just seem so expensive.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:15 AM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain

There's nuthin' like swap meet deals. You can put together a budget bobber. I'm Startin' a new project using a set of Sportster 4"bore cases from a swap meet that i paid only 300.00 for the cases. Most of the parts will come from some swap meet or another.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:23 PM
FroFro24
Intermediate

I started building mine in June. I did not know where to start so I went to a bike shop and asked them what I need to do. Luck for me the shop I went too was willing to help me out more than I had expected. I decided to buy a new frame and engine, I am using a used transmission and front end, all the other parts are either new or parts off other bikes. I have been able to find some good parts off craigslist and I have a good acquaintance that sells oil tanks on ebay. His tanks are pretty good quality and are fairly reasonable. If you look in "my bobber" post I have a picture of my bike with one of his oil tanks.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Yoshinkai
Stage II

Thanks

I started talking to the different shops in my area and some were great and some were like dont waste my time this is serious business. I know where I wont be buying my parts from lol.

Noone has commented yet but does anyone recommend the Crazyhorse V-Plus or is it just not that well known?

Cheers
Mike

Old 12-23-2009, 01:58 PM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain

I lived 10 min. From the in Federal Way,Wa. They have a 100" that has the oil filter mounted where the oil pump would go and vice-versa. Excluding these differences. It's an Evo.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:02 AM
QS78
Tourer

i would say, save the money and buy a new or used one. can be found in some famous classified website for decent price.
the effort ur putting beside the risk & the tools u have to buy will make it as expensive as buying an assebled bike !!

Old 12-29-2009, 05:11 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

that is horrible advice! hell if i would have listened to that i would have never found what i truely enjoy doing... not to mention i would not have built all the cool *** bikes i did... you do not need big $$$ to build custom bikes... just time and be willing to learn!

Quick Reply: I would like to build a bobber