Custom Models All custom bikes.

Close one...now what

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:49 AM
Slyde
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Close one...now what

Looking for advice. Bought a frame and built a Bobber last winter. About a month ago the rear oil tank mount weld broke. It was a poor(manufacturer) weld, no penetration. I contacted the shop I purchased the frame and many other parts from to see if the frame manufacturer would get behind their product. No luck, no response. I had to rent a tig welder again and figured I would re-powdercoat the frame next winter. That's problem #1.
Last weekend I'm going down I394 in Minneapolis about 60 MPH and the back of my bike shoots into the air about a foot, maybe foot and a half. Bike goes into a wobble but I get it settled down and get to the side of the Interstate. When I look my bike over I find the rear fender gone. The lower weld(manufacturers) for the rear fender broke and it fell in front of my rear tire. It sucked under the rear tire, bracket and all, until the upper fender brace hit the frame and broke. It sent the fender out behind me like a bullet over the top of two cars and was spinning like a top 40 to 50 feet in the air(eye witness)! Needless to say the fender, bracket, tire, brace and powderoat are messed up. I went back to the shop I bought the frame and parts from and asked again if the manufacturer will stand behind their product. Problem is, he seems to be more concerned about keeping a good relationship with the manufacturer than standing behind me, the custumer. That's problem #2.
The bike has about 450 miles on it. The components used(frame, fender, brace) all came from the manufacturer and were meant to be used together. The welds were poor, there is no question about that. I've had welders look at them. It seems clear my guy at the shop is not in my corner, and would like me to go away.
Does anyone have any advice? Should I make an insurance claim?

Old 06-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Close one...now what

Have you tried contacting the manfuacturer yourself? I'd document the heck out of it. Did you buy the stuff on a credit card? Alot of cards come with extended warranties on products purchased.

If not, document all your attempts to contact, who you talked to, when, messages left, etc... Take lots of pictures and file a claim in small claims court.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:37 AM
XRP
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with rhubarb, without a doubt.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:44 AM
QT Hush
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's outrageous! I can't believe the guy isn't standing behind the stuff he sold you. Making things right is on him because he's the seller. Have you asked him why he isn't doing the right thing? What is his excuse for not standing behind the product he sells? Do some more talking first and be civil, then demand that he do the right thing and threaten him with legal action if he doesn't. Take legal action if you have to. Too bad he's the type that once he has your money, he doesn't care about you. Good luck, dude, I hope it works out for you.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Slyde
Advanced

I appreciate your suggestions. I'm going to talk to him again this morning. I don't want it to come to legal, but if it does it does. Thanks again.

Old 06-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh hell, forget what I said...

Call VegasHD!

Old 06-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Slyde
Advanced

Listen I'll take any advice. I wish I didn't have to deal with this at all. Guess I'll just count my blessings it wasn't worse. I've been documenting everything and just tried to contact the manufacturer. We'll see what happens next. Thanks again.

Old 06-11-2006, 04:54 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

give up his name so no one else suffers this crap

Old 06-11-2006, 08:02 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, give up the name. Who is the manufacturer?

Old 06-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Slyde
Advanced

Maximum metalworks built the frame, I bought it from Mid-USA.

Quick Reply: Close one...now what