Custom Models All custom bikes.

How do you begin building a chopper (motorcycle)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009 | 01:00 AM
Albert19
|
Stage IV
Default How do you begin building a chopper (motorcycle)?

I want a chopper but I don't want one completely finished by someone else. I was told that buying a bike and turning it into a chopper motorcycle is fairly easy and worth doing (not to mention less expensive than buying one done). But how do I know which bikes would be better suited for modifying than others?. I don't know where to begin.. Can someone point me in the right direction?.

Old 07-18-2009 | 07:08 AM
yep
Account Suspended

what look are you going for , just saying chopper covers a lot of bikes ...you can chop most any harley but I would stay away from the twin cam B-motors ... there arent a lot of frame options out there and when you do find one they are not cheap by no means ....also stay away from fuel injection ... if you are not a good fab guy then tank options are going to be far and few between ... the only aftermarket tank I have seen for the fuel injection bikes is from RSD .... there are endless gas tanks and such for the carb'd bikes and they are easier and cheaper to tune your self to work with any exhaust or air cleaner you choose ... if you are looking to buy a ride and change out the frame I would look for something that has as many of the componets you already want to have on the new bike (I.E. spoke wheels , springer frontend ) this will cut down on your cost ... I am getting ready to do a sporster my self and am looking at maybe 1000 bucks to have it looking the way I want ... just depends on the look you are going for and your budget

Old 07-18-2009 | 08:25 AM
jimmie d wad
Tourer

have a plan and know what you want.changing ideas or directions in the middle gets expensive.ebay is a good place to keep the cost down but know what the stuff your buying is worth.never more than half of new.

Old 07-18-2009 | 08:27 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

Bottom line is decide what you want for a finished look.Building a bike from scratch takes a lot of dedication,and know how.Converting a bike is a lot easier,start with a bike that is close and go from there.Changing the rake and fork extension is better left to proffessionals.Good Luck

Old 07-18-2009 | 08:29 PM
Eric1492
2nd Gear

I am doing my first build. Like everyone else is saying...you have to have an idea of what it is you want in a bike first. If you go for a complete build I would recomend asking alot of question before buying parts. I have found that this will save you alot of time shipping items back for the right one that will actualy fit or work. So far I have bought most of my stuff off of ebay but shop around there are good deals out there you just have to be patient and look for them.

Old 07-24-2009 | 03:27 PM
mike06train
Road Captain

There are alot of parts out to do a sportster based chopper. The choice for frames is endless and parts are a dime a dozen. Looks to be a good base for a first time build.
I like the pro street platform better then the big 4" up frame with the big rake and long forks. They don't turn well at all.

Old 07-24-2009 | 03:51 PM
thomaskray
Road Master
Old 08-03-2009 | 01:52 AM
Trex
Road Master

Get a "chopper kit" then a chopper motor etc.

Old 08-03-2009 | 02:03 AM
BlackDenimBob
Banned

Originally Posted by Albert19
I want a chopper but I don't want one completely finished by someone else. Can someone point me in the right direction?.

I believe LEGO has a beginner 'Chopper' kit...$14.99...plus tax...

Old 08-03-2009 | 03:14 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BlackDenimBob
I believe LEGO has a beginner 'Chopper' kit...$14.99...plus tax...

And that helps how???

Quick Reply: How do you begin building a chopper (motorcycle)?