Custom Models All custom bikes.

How do you begin building a chopper (motorcycle)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009 | 03:31 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

You're in luck... there's so much available today that building a bike from scratch has never been easier. There's quite a few books out just in the last few years that cover this subject extensively. However, don't kid yourself, it's a big job, and depending on your skill level, can be daunting. Lots of guys have started a project, only to bail out when it became clear they were in over their heads.

To my way of thinking, a chopper has a specific look... raked and stretched with a long front end and a hardtail. Don't let anyone tell you that they don't ride or handle well, because they certainly can, if they are designed properly.

It's a lot easier to buy a new frame than modify an existing one. Even so, you have to have your plan together before you start.

What do you have in mind?

Last edited by Mike; 08-03-2009 at 03:35 AM.
Old 08-03-2009 | 04:00 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

You might think about starting out by building a bobber. Here's an example of what can be done to a pedestrian, small, metric cruiser....

http://www.riffraffcustoms.com/pdfs/...ft-customs.pdf

Old 09-30-2010 | 03:10 PM
hommes
Road Captain

BlackDenimBob: I believe LEGO has a beginner 'Chopper' kit...$14.99...plus tax...

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
And that helps how???
It helps because it saves time and money

Last edited by hommes; 09-30-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2011 | 05:30 AM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Default Agreeing w/ others

I start w/ lots of 'zines getting ideas of likes & vs.. Also catalogs will give an idea of prices one will have to deal w/ now & in the future. Try to stay w/ something common & take a look around your hometown for good mechanics that will work on what you have. Often, lots of dealership shops won't touch an older cycle & also some shops will be to busy to synchronize dual/quad carbs &/or other miscellaneous tasks you don't know how to do or don't have the tools for. And that is another issue--TOOLS are expensive! I've been tinkerin' for yrs & still have to rent a special tool occasionally. That little-bitty red box in the garage is not enough. Cost is tricky. A two cylinder single stack motor (Triumph, Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc) may seem inexpensive & the smaller motor likable, but...

If $5-8 grand is spent towards Chopper, in my book that is about right. Like lots of others were saying--

Old 07-04-2011 | 05:45 AM
JohnFlorida
Road Master

Figure out what motor and trans you want then buy frame configured the way you want. build rolling chassis and go from there. Or you could buy one finished since they are uncomfortable to ride and have very few miles. You're catching the chopper craze wave long after the break IMO

Old 07-04-2011 | 06:40 AM
prodrag1320
Banned

we`ve got a REAL nice AIH texas chopper that needs a motor and to be all put together (going cheap!!)

Old 07-04-2011 | 06:44 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior

Tons of kits out there... google...
But IMO, if your wondering where to start that might be a issue... just sayin.
The chopper "kits" dont come with instructions.

Old 07-04-2011 | 07:07 AM
JonW
Road Warrior

Make a plan before you start. Assess your capabilities and be honest with your skill level. Do you know how to weld? Do you know how to set up a drivetrain? Know exactly the look you want before you start and don't change course in mid-stream. Plan on building the bike almost entirely, then breaking it down for paint and reassembling it again. I started one once and realized that I was in over my head. Luckily, I hadn't gone too far, but it still cost me money selling the parts at a loss.

Old 07-04-2011 | 09:50 AM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member

I check craigslist a couple of times a day here. I've seen complete rollers needing engine an trans listed for as low as $900. I've seen a hard tail iron head unfinished "project" that had everything to finish it for $1000. Figure out the title laws an stuff before you start too. I'd hate to sink a couple grand into something I couldn't get plates for.

Old 07-04-2011 | 01:50 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

First thing you do is check Laws and regs in your state.
Many have found after spending a lot of time and money they can not title it or need to spend a lot of money getting the issue worked out.

Quick Reply: How do you begin building a chopper (motorcycle)?