Custom Models All custom bikes.

new custom no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006 | 11:28 PM
MW2469
|
Stage IV
Default new custom no start

I just built my wife a custom softail with a 95" S&S twin cam motor- the bike ran for 68 miles and I parked it and it would not restart-it acted like it was running on one cylinder and then stalled and then it would not start. I burned up the starter trying to restart it and had to wait until I could get another one installed.After installing the starter the bike would not restart... so I pulled the plug wires off and got no spark... I returned the coil to the mfg and they tested it and found it to be faulty. After installing the new coil still no spark from the coil(I have power to the coil)I then removed the whole ignition system and sent it back to the mfg... they tested the complete system and found everything to be in working order...I reinstalled the system and the bike still did not start... still no spark from the coil...I ordered another ignition system(different mfg co) and installed it along with a map sensor, and a coil from my'99 FLHT... still no spark from the coil... someone suggested that the crank sensor might have gone bad(after 68 miles????)soooo I replaced it-no change!!!! I've checked every wire to the ignition system 6-8 times...I'm stumped! The bike has handlebar switches for start/run and a tank mounted ign switch for power-the bike was hard wired by a electrical engineer friend and I haven't had any other electrical problems.Anyone out there with any ideas?? I'ts been 11 weeks messing with ups and the mfg co and my wife is really getting pissed that she can't ride her new PAPERWEIGHT!!!!!!
P.S. It ran great for 68 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2006 | 02:00 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: new custom no start

Having an electrical engineer wire up my bike would keep me awake at night. Smart guys, but sometimes the practical side of things are a bit much for some of them (ones I have known anyway). I think after all the stuff you have tried you need to just do this:
Start at the battery and follow the wiring from component to component. Make certain electrical power is present at each item. Somewhere there has been failure of a component and your challenge is to locate that failure point. Meanwhile let your lady ride your machine until you get hers fixed.

Old 05-22-2006 | 06:18 PM
Big Daddy K
Cruiser

It seems like you've looked into the obvious problems. Wiring (electrical) problems are a biatch to figure out. I had a problem 2 years ago with a loose negative ground mount. The motor was running intermitent because the bolt holding the ground wire was pushed out from the swingarm behind the battery.

I agree with MW2469, you're gonna have to check all wires.

How is the ignition switch? Do other componets (lights, sensors, horn) work when key turned?

Old 05-30-2006 | 12:14 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member

Why not just run a separate wiring system to eliminate and possible problems with the current wiring system. What I mean, is this. Run a separate wire from the battery to the coil, then try and crank the bike. If the bike fails to fire the plugs look else where............

Good Luck, the are a biatch to find sometimes

Old 05-30-2006 | 12:22 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior

I would say you have a bad ground. When you check to see if the coil has power, where are you putting your meter (or tester) leads?

Old 06-11-2006 | 04:56 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member

i hate electrical crap!

Old 08-19-2006 | 08:58 PM
bandido
Stage I

If the frame was powder coated check the frame and make sure is grounded, I had to scrape the paint from the
frame to make contact with the negative wire.

problem solved

Old 08-20-2006 | 01:30 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

If it is grounded, run up the wiring connection from the coil back to the battery (1 connection at a time). If the coil is not getting power, that wire could be bad, or the connection above it. Since it turns over the run from the battery is good, tho.