Custom Models All custom bikes.

Sprint-Bob project

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 03:55 PM
XKROME
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sprint-Bob project

started a project last winter but then i got sidetracked with mods on the SG and didn't get any further than dismantling and hacking a few parts off. it's a 1965 Harley/Aermacchi 250 Sprint that will be a small bobber for my room mate. Ridding and hunting seasons are about done so we are going to have a Sprint-Bob date at least once a week (she works late 3 nights a week so it'll give me something to do on those nights also) and try to bust her out this winter.

trying to keep most everything on the cheap and go with the rat bike look so I got out the cutoff wheel and hacked the old 2 up seat pan into a solo yesterday and she is gona try her hand at padding and covering it

found a 16'' fear wheel off of a Yamaha Exciter and mounted a Firestone replica on it. need to order a sprocket and then we can start working on getting the ridgid frame welded up.

Last edited by XKROME; 05-30-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:10 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Cool!....

I'm getting the garage cleaned and cleared for some winter fabbing myself

... nothing on your scale tho .. keep us updated!

Old 11-09-2008, 05:16 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Put mine up on the jack today....ready to do some minor work...have my list of chit to do!

Old 11-10-2008, 12:08 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

very nice!!! keep them coming keep them coming!... you can also do a cheap seat pan out of fiberglass... super easy! i have a bunch of links for covering a seat if it will help your wifey.... alot of the cafe guys do all their own and some of the tricks are pretty cool

Old 11-10-2008, 06:47 PM
XKROME
Road Master

Originally Posted by JRK5892
very nice!!! keep them coming keep them coming!... you can also do a cheap seat pan out of fiberglass... super easy! i have a bunch of links for covering a seat if it will help your wifey.... alot of the cafe guys do all their own and some of the tricks are pretty cool
the room mate (aka Shannon) sez the links for seat covering would be much appreciated.

Last edited by XKROME; 05-30-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:57 PM
XKROME
Road Master

got it up on the bench and temporarily remounted the motor and front end so we can start getting the rear end lined up for welding and fab some struts. also had the little woman sit on it to check the seat height and it looks like we are going to have to relocate the battery box and cut about an inch off of the seat post to get her flat footed.
the main barrings are shot so I'm gona have to split the case. this will be a first for me and I hope we can do it without buying the spacial tool that the service manual sez to use. my MC mechanic friend seems to think we can.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:10 PM
JRK5892
Banned

lift the front of the tank and drop the rear... man that back bone gives it such a smooth line... if you do that your can really drop the seat into the fram and sit in the bike... i realize this is a mock up but she will be riding very high on the bike, windy roads will suck... great progress man!

Old 11-29-2008, 06:52 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

that'll be interesting when it's finished

Old 11-30-2008, 11:07 AM
XKROME
Road Master

Originally Posted by JRK5892
lift the front of the tank and drop the rear... man that back bone gives it such a smooth line... if you do that your can really drop the seat into the fram and sit in the bike... i realize this is a mock up but she will be riding very high on the bike, windy roads will suck... great progress man!
there is an original battery box that she sez has to be on the bike and even with drilling new mounting holes and dropping it down on top of motor i can still only cut about an inch off of seat post.
maybe if I can talk her into mounting it forward and more under the rear of the tank on the top/front motor mount?? going to have to do what ever we can to get it as low as possible cuz she's only 4'11'' tall

Last edited by XKROME; 11-30-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:12 AM
JRK5892
Banned

true... see about moving it in front of the motor... either that or get rid of the box all togetehr... get a smaller battery and leather wrap it.... then you can tuck it aways somewhere much easier... i woiudl still pull off the SPRINT lable on the bat box and see if i could incorp that somewhere like maybe across the top of the headlight... you could even hook your battery box the way it is now to your swing arm... have it ride like a concho bag on the swing arm and that would still leave you able to drop the seat and get the tank in line wiht the backbone... that would look cool as hell! if you do it on the chain side it would act as a chain guard!

Quick Reply: Sprint-Bob project