Custom Models All custom bikes.

got another ride yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008 | 04:14 PM
JRK5892
|
Banned

ha ha ha Roger i know i know... my dad said that same thing... I want to keep the side covers to ensure that it all matches i painted the tank... i was out of the metal fill for powder anyway... with any luck it should be there tomorrow... I am sure i will have a bunch of questions for you coming up... i am getting ready to start working with bronze powdercoat... never done that...
ill get another pic up of her soon.. that was day 1 holloween costume... the next day she was a cheerleader... it was nice

Old 11-13-2008 | 04:17 PM
JRK5892
|
Banned

i did do a little bit of coating to get an idea on match... it is dead on wiht my paint... i will be doing a TON more shorty

Old 11-13-2008 | 09:34 PM
2002fxdp
Road Captain

looks good!
really like the seat, almost like a flat tracker
still gonna do the red scallops?
the white looks good, my next bike will be white i think
keep it up

Old 11-14-2008 | 03:28 AM
JRK5892
|
Banned

nope no more scallops... just plain white... clean nothign else... Roger you called me out man had to pull togeter a bit of powder coating... thought i screwed up but it turned into a great mistake!!!

ok... so i got the rear wheel painted.. and a bunch of powder coating done... i got in this new high gloss black... it is AWESOME!!!!... in fact i was so excited to try it, i shot it first... one piece... brake drum casing on the rear wheel...then i shot a ton extra in a white... i left just a touch of the black powder in the gun after cleaning it... i was hoping this would give me a touch of black speckle in the white... it worked! ... in all honesty i cleaned my gun between coats in a rush... took the girls to the bar... came home and did not finish cleaning it... loaded the white and started to shoot... after the first piece came otu of the oven i was like CRAP!!! wait... that looks pretty cool! so i shot everything i wanted done this way tonight... here it all is... tomorrow i am going to bust out the new brass color i got in... i am thinking just a few small touches like the sprocket... and maybe the bowels on the carbs... maybe even the spings on the shocks... we will see how it looks after i shoot a part or two... here are some pics

got to stay organized

you can see the black speckles

Old 11-14-2008 | 05:43 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain

Glad I could help motivate you in the right direction. Seriously, I know some things must be painted... just bust'n your chops.

Not all mistakes turn out bad. The pics didn't show the black specks too good but I know what it looks like from experience. I'll PM you with another trick that I think you'll like.

Old 11-14-2008 | 09:18 AM
JRK5892
|
Banned

AWESOME!!! thanks bud!!! it is great to have a powder coater with your experinace and that can turn out such amazing work!!! thanks man for all your help!

check out the new gloss black!!!!

Last edited by JRK5892; 11-14-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-14-2008 | 09:33 PM
danrad55
Cruiser
Default TX-500A build

I was amazed to see this project here. Used to sell Yamaha's and my first new bike was the 1974 TX-500A in Bird Blue. That is the original factory color. Bike went coast to coast with a stop at the Mustang Ranch! Also had a 1981 Seca 750 and Bridgestone 175 Dual Twin (made in Rockford, IL., a very fast two stroke....when it ran!). My brother in Colorado is currently working on a TX-500A project as well. Parts are not easy to find any more. A dealer in Schaumburg told me they scrapped a ton of parts (ouch) after they took over the store. Couldn't tell if it was b.s. or not. If you were not aware, Yamaha had a problem with the head gasket in '74. I can see the seeping in some of the pictures. Yamaha came up with a new gasket as a fix but they are impossible to find. My brother found some compound at Harbor Freight to use and it seems to work. 1975 hey came with a single piece head and fixed the problem. If you decide to try to replace the head gasket be sure to locate a master link for the cam chain. Next to impossible to find as well. One of the first multi valve engines and it came with a counter balancer to make it silky smooth. I'm looking forward to seeing the bike completed. Looks great so far.

Old 11-15-2008 | 05:02 AM
JRK5892
|
Banned

DAN that is awesome... let me knwo if your brother needs parts... i am stripping a good amount of mine... I had an XJ750 that i cafed... NOW THAT was a fast bike... and with the air ride was just awesome to ride...

so tonights progress... got the motor out of the frame... THANKS to a little help form the little bro... it was a @#$@ for some reason... need to get that all figured out before i put it back in... ya yaya ya tried to lay it on its side and all that crap.... any other ideas to get it back in smooth? got all the un nessassary metal cut off the frame... will body grind it tomorrow and simple green it... get it ready for paint.... motor, going to hit that wiht 500* high gloss black... do you think 500 is enough? i know my HD cuts out at like 365 or somehting... i would rahter use 1200 degree but no where around me has it in gloss it is all flat black... I want the bling....
well i also tried out a new powder caot... brass... in all it looks like a flat gold but still has a sparkle to it... not completely sold on it yet... i may try a gloss clear powder over it to see if i can get a bit of debth to it with that... or i may jsut leave it.... or get rid of the brass all together.... (least that is what the girlfriend says but she wants a few days to think about it before i change it) but here are the pics of the stuff i did tonight...

ordered new tach and speedo... small ones... fork boots are on the way as well... but need some ideas if you guys have anythign i am missing???? i am thinking of a stearing stabilizer... and still not sure what to do about rear shocks...

brass powder (no clear powder over it)...

drilled out the side case for the motor and did a fade in the powder from the polished alum to the brass... the rest of the side cases and heads will be polished up... I needed a way to tie in the polished front forks cause i love how they look! so i figure the engine cases polished as well with a brass fade... did the starter cover in full brass

battery box (black to brass fade) .... starter cover, fork headlight ears hardware

the whole reason i ordered brass was to do the sprocket... then i just kept going

did the inside of the floating rotor to match the sprocket...

parts seperated and bagged... bolts will all be polished up as i open the bags... then i have to tackle all that wire back there... i need to figure out how to run bare bones... only having a headlight and tail lights (brakes and maybe rear turns)... need to figure out how to wire this sucker

Motor and frame, both very little work done to as of yet

all the crap so far (except carbs) I also drilled out the belt guard... no idea why

Old 11-15-2008 | 08:27 AM
Dizzzy
Tourer

Joe
Are you going to put a cafe tail section on it? If so, I'm looking for one. I have a odd year (80 CB750F) and those tail sections don't look like they will fit due to the rear frame section. Any other info will help on this poject!

John

Old 11-15-2008 | 11:11 AM
JRK5892
|
Banned

dizzy loook though the pics... I made my own seat for this bike out of fiberglass... yes i made a cafe style seat... cehck it out and let me know if you have any ?S

Quick Reply: got another ride yesterday