Old 02-21-2009 | 12:13 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

I think that's the way to go, IMHO.

~Joe

Old 02-21-2009 | 09:48 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior

Yes! much better then trying to use those big ol sporty pipes. And goes better with the bike.

Old 02-25-2009 | 08:51 AM
JRK5892
|
Banned

did not get much done on the cafe last night... 1/2 my stuff did not come in... i could not find a 12x1.25 bolt that was about 10 3/8 long and standard thread will not work for the engine bolt... i looked on McMaster but they dont make one long enough... so looks like i am going to have to cut it and thread it on the laythe... did get the rear sets all bolted down and secure and the pipe i need to make the brake linkage (again) first set i made is just too bendable... looks cool but not functionable... also wrapped my tach and speedo cables in the chrome sleeving. looks good. then i got a call from a buddy that just shot a ton of chopper parts in a new black he just got in... SUPER SUPER gloss but he got orange peel like crazy... buffing powder coat SUCKS!!!! so i went over there to help him till about 2am (he is a good fella always lets me use his huge oven to do frames and wheels and crap)
went to 5 stores to get the pipes i need to finish up the exhause and no one had what i needed. NO ONE...
I got a buddy that custom builds exhuasts so looks like i will mark them all up and ship them his way. i got some short shot baffels that i am going to need in there. other than that just the baffle tossed in there and a turn out welded on... i can cut it so even if you where to toss a 90 on there that would be fine... and it only needs to be like 6 in long... but it needs to go from a 1 1/2 OD to step up to a 1 3/4 ID pipe so the baffel will fit. we will see!

Old 02-25-2009 | 09:07 PM
mrperez
Road Captain

Hey joe. I was just browsing some Cafe racers pictures and I found this one. I like the way the exhaust is done into this one. What do you think? It looks like a 2into1 set up.

Attached Thumbnails got another ride yesterday-cafe_racer_american_choppers-1-.jpg  
Old 02-26-2009 | 07:29 PM
JRK5892
|
Banned

ya that is carpys bike! he is a cool *** guy! i used to BS with him online all the time when i was in college building my cafes

ooh hell ya! dont have much time got to get some serious work done tonight... but wanted to show you what i just finished up... had a buddy help out iwth the welding... here they are... my version of short shots!

granted they still need to be finished up... but here it is... now i needed to compensate for the length by getting the right back pressure... took the header and cut them down they are OD 1 1/2 from there took a 2 in pipe cut that down and flared the ends. welded in a spacer on the inside with a triangle pattern (talked to a buddy that builds headers for his drag cars in Missour and he said that will help to act as a torqe cone and will really help) why not right! i need to get a spacer anyways to weld in the 2 in pipe... from there got the short shot baffels and popped them in, they are removable and should work great! i still have a few tricks up my sleeve if i need to add a lolly pop in i will... but they should sound AWESOME!!! (i hope...)

so what do you think?!

ooh ya...

my version of a torque cone

V&H short shot baffels

baffle slid in

What will become my heat shields after drilled and powdercoated

Old 02-26-2009 | 07:41 PM
mrperez
Road Captain

Wow, I think it looks awsome.. Home made short shots..

Old 02-27-2009 | 11:48 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

i think they came out awesome!!! keep up the good work joe

Old 02-27-2009 | 07:36 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! That is awesome man. Lovin' it! Damn I can't wait to see this bad boy finished up..

Old 03-02-2009 | 12:49 AM
JRK5892
|
Banned

ok... before i list anything here... yes i realize the red I shot on the mufflers was a BAD idea... YES it will be sanded and shot black... ok... so
got the rough finish on the heat shields done... also drilled out a piece of alum with the mill to give me added strenght for the rear brake... but did it wihtout the bike there... so that needs a bit more work to complete...
going to powder the shields tomorrow...

used the ban saw to cut them

used the mill to gap them

stretched them

shield in place

hose clamps hold it in place (red wil be gone)

linkage (take 3)

Quick Reply: got another ride yesterday