Custom Models All custom bikes.

got another ride yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009 | 04:28 PM
powdercoater
Road Captain

Yeah, that pipe should get much hotter than 400, especially at that first bend. As I'm sure you know, any change in air flow creates friction... thus more heat. What if you made a 3/4 heat shield or used some Panhead flex covers for heat shields? I think I have a pair of brand new Pan flex covers if you want them. If so, just pay shipping and they're yours!

Even if you just made some shorty shields (say that three times fast) that only protected the frame. That way you don't take away from the overall look.

Old 02-13-2009 | 05:19 PM
JRK5892
|
Banned

F'N A!!! that is the best idea yet man!!! i am really feeling the flex covers idea! hell ya if you have a set ill buy em for sure!!! i am really liking tht, that will look sick and protect my frame! funny when i read 400... i was like what? then i read that in MY post, ha ha ha ha ooh well sometimes i dont even realize what i am doing. love the flex idea man!

Old 02-13-2009 | 05:28 PM
powdercoater
Road Captain

I'll look through the garage when I get home to see if I still have them, I'm pretty sure I do. If I do, I think they are still in the package. I'll letcha know what I find.

Old 02-20-2009 | 03:14 PM
JRK5892
|
Banned

sorry this is a long one... i have just hit a road block and i need any help i can get... i took a bunch of pics so i hope that makes it easier...

ok... so here is the issue with the exhuast... #1, i dont weld... i have to either get one of my drunk *** buddies to do it or pay to have it done... $ is not somehting i have alot of right now... so i am trying to think of a way to make this work. #2 I need back pressure on this bike, these carbs are a bitch to tune in, without it.. and i am already running V stacks so it is going to be picky anyway...

this is the pipe i am working with.. the stock headers have to be used cause of oval ports and again not a welder

now...
i have a set of stock 01 1200 C (sporty) mufflers, that i wanted to try and use.. however, the pipes sizes are off wia bit... the headers are 1 1/2 ID, 1 5/8 OD... and the mufflers are 1 3/4 ID, 1 7/8OD... (i know i woudl have to have a muffler shop make me an adapter so that is a cost i know i have...

the original plan was to just hook them strait up, i would make a hanger off the rear set perch, and be done... well the shifter and brake lever will hit the muffler... and be SUPER quiet from what i hear

shifter hits:

Brake lever hits:

so if i move the muffler in 1 in they will clear, so the muffler shop would have to make me an adapter that has an S that brings the pipe towards the tire by 1 in, and have about 3 in total in length to do it...

distance for the S bend

pipe that 1 in towards the tire clears easy

what i was wondering... has anyone ever made their own baffles? i know in the 70's my dad used to use 2 wing nuts in the drag pipes he had to help make tuning a bit easier...
do you think if i was to put 8 wing nuts in the pipe, 1 row as far in as i could get them and the other about 1.5 in from the end.. that i could get enough pressure? i have even heard of putting a washer on the other side of the wing nuts and using a spring to that conects to the wsher and then the end of the pipe to hold it in there against the nuts to help tune...then i could then just get some turn outs and put those on there.. tell me what you think? or any other ideas... i am lost... think low $$$ an low welding! ha ha ha
home made baffels:

or something like this
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust.htm

Last edited by JRK5892; 02-20-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2009 | 05:04 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less

You need to start welding or buying beer.

OR

You could do baffles:
http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbo...2094?q=baffles

Old school pococj style:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...-lollipop.html

Old 02-20-2009 | 05:24 PM
powdercoater
Road Captain

You can pick up a 3 inch baffle at most motorcycle shops, then just cut it down little by little until you get the results you want. Those baffles are cheap too!

Old 02-20-2009 | 06:00 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member

JRK, You are the MAN!

Just spent (not wasted) the last 30mins reading this thread for the first time.

You have inspired me to go out and detail my bike like it has never been detailed before. Therefore I will I sit here and crack open another 3-4 beers until that feeling and inspiration passes.

I will check back in periodically and look forward to seeing the completion of your project.

Nice work brother.

Primo

P.S. Congrats on the whole wedding thing. You can tell she's something special just from looking at that one picture of her.

Old 02-20-2009 | 06:46 PM
2002fxdp
Road Captain

i got 2 baffles from a set of Short Shots. their yours if you can use em

Old 02-20-2009 | 08:47 PM
mrperez
Road Captain

+1 on the idea of just cutting the Short shots baffles and welding them to size. I hope you find a good way to fix this problem. I know we are all waiting to see the finish product.

Old 02-21-2009 | 10:14 AM
JRK5892
|
Banned

ok... I HAD A DREAM! (sorry josh this is the same thing i wrote you did not watn to have to retype it)

Well I did last night… here is what I am thinking, I hope this make sense, let me know what you think…
So either way if I run my exhaust past the rear set, hanging it or just getting it past is going to be a bitch to do and make it look clean…
I am going to make a version of short shots. I have a buddy that has his 2 stock baffles out of the short shots I gave him for his Dyna. I am going to take those and turn them down till they will fit into the pipe, I will then slide those in and about 2 in from the end of the header… I think what was thrown me off is nothing I did looked finished . Just did not flow with the bike… so I will get some brass (or copper) tubing 1 ¾ in… I am going to split that in half, drill out the back protion to look like a machine gun barrel, and then make some small spacers 1/2 in. Then I will toss on a exhsut turn down tip (so the exhaust is not blowing on my feet), take my cut piece of brass tubing and use the spacers to gap it off the header, just drill some holes in the header pipe, use some longer steel rivits and rivet the shield on… what you think about that? think that would look cool? it would basicly go from right after the bend to right after the clamp on the turn down… I think it may look good! Then I don’t have to worry about hanging anything.

something like this... now bear in mind this will be on both sides as well... what you think?!

Quick Reply: got another ride yesterday