Custom Models All custom bikes.

got another ride yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008 | 07:34 AM
CSA
Road Master

Damn nice work Joe!

Like you've shown, prep is the key. Good Prep! Good Finish!

Gonna be doing that to the Sporty this week sometime.

Today I got a Chrome Sliders to do on a Softail and full chrome front end kit for a RK Custom. I also have to swap out the tires, repair the airline for shocks, and add bag mounts. Hell I still need to finish the LEDs on my bike..............gonna be a fun day! Post pics tonight!

Keep posting bro'

Old 11-29-2008 | 05:49 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JRK5892
Joe that is the only oil i would run in this sucker... i thought about lucas but i think i am going to rock the mobile 1... these motors have issues wiht heat anyway... granted i live in chicago and it really does not get that crazy hot i am still going to try and figure out a way to stick an oil cooler on it... just not sure how being that it is all contained in the engine... not like a harley or even some of the CB's i have worked on where the oil is in a sep oil container and the lines are exposed... so this should be intresting... JPcycles has a universal oil cooler for like 35 bucks... i am going to try and make that work... have to hunt the web to see if there is a how to anywere... i know i can get the adapter plate for the oil filter but aht is $$$ and i dont want to spend any more $$$... any other tips on keeping it cool?
http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...A-4D41F1751627

if its designed to be run without an oil cooler than it should stay like that. you will end up drilling holes in the engine case and tapping threads for oil hoses to go to the cooler and you need to somehow route the oil through it and back and the thing has to push more PSI than stock to get it through.

its not worth the hassle just keep the fins bare or with a very light coat of flat black to help cooling. or you can try to run it light this for awhile, but i know eventaully you will run into problems with those painted fins.

and yes wet sump engines are annoying and a hassle, the only thing they do is save space on the frame and reduce weight from lack of an oil tank. good for racing, not for street use.

Old 11-29-2008 | 06:05 PM
JRK5892
|
Banned

ya... the motor is staying painted... i am going to make an adapter plate for my oil filter, cut out may case so that the filter will stick though then run my lines out... though the case to the cooler... that will be plenty to keep this sucker cool... i get what you are saying joe but this bike will be shown and rode... i have to keep the motor clean... adding a cooler will just give me enough to be cool and not worry about seizing the motor... ill also tap in a temp sensor...

Old 11-30-2008 | 10:01 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Because I use Mobil1, I skipped the cooler on my DYNA.....Mobil1 doesn't break down at all, since it is 100% Synthetic......IMHO, Run Mobil1 and forget the cooler....unnecessary, unless you are running conventional oil.

Only problem with Mobil1....if the motor is loose, it'll burn it quicker, as it is thin and slippery!

Just my .02

~Joe

Old 11-30-2008 | 11:20 AM
JRK5892
|
Banned

huh... did not know that Joe... i may ahve to look into that a bit more... this motor was horrible on cooling though and would crack gaskets... that is why they switched to the XS in 1975... for 2 years they made this 2cyl duel overhead cam like i have in my bike 73-74... torquey as hell and lots of power for a 500 but heat issues... you think Mobile 1 will take care of that i may just rock the mobile one and not the cooler

got some more polishing done
you can see where my wheel is i have 2 towels, these catch all the crap the wheel throws as it spins so my garage and everything in it does not just get caked wiht crap! for cooling i found a great deal on a screw on adapter at the oil filter! ill post about that later:

BEFORE:

After:

Last edited by JRK5892; 11-30-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-30-2008 | 11:54 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

lookin good! i gotta use this section and start posting about my custom bikes, i build a new one every week.

last week i finished a single cylinder triumph style motorized bike, dark green with white racing stripes, looked good. before that i bobbed out a rebel 250 haha

Old 11-30-2008 | 12:57 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

well....with that motor and it's know heat issues, maybe the cooler is a good idea.

As far as H/D motors, I PERSONALLY don't worry about it with Mobil1....but again, that's just me.

Looks pretty good....any luck on getting the gaskets to bolt her back together?

~Joe

Old 11-30-2008 | 12:59 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Well with the heat issues, you better use a cooler then.

~Joe

Old 11-30-2008 | 02:06 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Not to hijack the thread but is anyone interested in a '79 yamie xs1100 motor before i start parting it out?

Old 11-30-2008 | 02:08 PM
JRK5892
|
Banned

got the motor all polished up... gasket paper is on order and should be here tomorrow, then i will fab up this oil cooler and run the lines... button the motor up and should have it back in the frame by friday...

Joe G... HELL ya post those! i did a bit of work to my girls Virago 250... did you build that chicks 250 bobber from the auto parts store you posted a while ago?

the pics do not really do it justice... this sucker SHINES!!! still have to do a final wipe down and wax, i may even poly clear powder it all so i dont have to worry about it... here are the pics:

one without the flash so that you can really see how shiney these parts polished out

Quick Reply: got another ride yesterday