Custom Models All custom bikes.

got another ride yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008 | 07:11 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JRK5892
great tip joe! thanks bud!!! is there a list somewhere of the diff gasket types? I have been searching the internet but the info is limited
go to any autoparts store, they stock the stuff in 1'X1' sheets and bigger.

there is gasket material for water pumps, different stuff for engine cases, some for exhuasts, others for cylinder heads.

just tell them what your trying to do with it they can help. if you find nothing cut it out of solid cardboard, the same kind cereal boxes are made of, but go to an arts and crafts store to get the kind without any printing on it. its so cheap and it really PERFECT for the application. compresses and seals really well.

Old 11-25-2008 | 11:52 PM
JRK5892
|
Banned

well i killed myself in the gym today... twice... so i goaled myself to one thing on the build... polished out my side case... SMOOTH AS GLASS NOW... also did a mock up wiht the rest of the cover that i polished and fade powder coated... not so hot of a match with my crap polish job when i did the other case to this one.... but... i am going to wait till i get the motor in before i decide... may just blast it back down and polish it too... may leave it... anyway... here the pics

here we go... fine wire wheeled it... next hit it with 400 grit and then wet 1000... this breaks up all the crap on the metal and will allow the polish to really work in and shine that sucker up... also gives you less chance of "burning" on the wheel..here is a pic after the wire wheel

and done:

on the motor both 1/2's of the caseing...

also the girl wanted me to hang her chin up bar... the support cups where black... could not have that... powder coated them white to match the door frame so that i done have to take them down every time we have people over... just screw in the bar and it will slide right off... hell ya

Old 11-26-2008 | 02:17 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

leave it to you to powdercoat everyday household items!

Old 11-26-2008 | 02:15 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member

JOE!! THAT FRAME IS WICKED!!!! Holy **** man.. I can't believe how AWESOME that looks brotha! Great, GREAT work. I hate to see you sell that bad boy, but hey, money is money.. and I'm sure you'll get plenty for it! Good work man.. I envy you and your mechanic skills, or whatever ya call them! Haha..

Old 11-26-2008 | 08:12 PM
CSA
Road Master

Looking real sweet Joe!

You da man!

Old 11-28-2008 | 09:00 PM
JRK5892
|
Banned

well i capitalized on todays day off... 12 hrs of cleaning and scrubbing... used wire wheels, sand paper, toothbrushes, simple green, dish soap, mer acid, you name it!!! but got that motor clean!!!! from her i primed it... and painted.... will polish the other side case and head late this week.... done for the day... total time to prep and paint the motor: start time: 8am... final coat of paint... 8:30 Pm 12.5 hours.... spent 1 hour painting... all about the prep work!

pre paint prep wipe down: denatured alchole
paint: dupli-color engine primer and gloss black engine paint....

Primer:

Painted:

Old 11-28-2008 | 09:17 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

I've always found that when painting engine cylinders you want the thinnest lightest coat that still gets full coverage.

and only flat black helps dissipate heat any other color traps it in.

not sure if using primer and gloss black would be the best idea for those fins, its not watercooled right? I hope it stays together you have to find a way to make it run cooler than it would stock. dont want a good looking bike to have frozen rings, that would suck.

if i was building the bike i would scrub down just the fins back to bare metal and shoot them lightly with flat black. not too noticeable when you look at it but noticeable in the way it runs.

good luck i cant wait to see it back together 100%

Old 11-28-2008 | 10:51 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Run Mobil1 oil in it, and it will be just fine. Mobil1 can take a hell of a lot more heat than what these little Air Cooled motors put out.

Besides....why not run the BEST oil available??

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 11-28-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-29-2008 | 12:59 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by traveler
Run Mobil1 oil in it, and it will be just fine. Mobil1 can take a hell of a lot more heat than what these little Air Cooled motors put out.

Besides....why not run the BEST oil available??

~Joe
another good point by traveler.

Old 11-29-2008 | 03:58 AM
JRK5892
|
Banned

Joe that is the only oil i would run in this sucker... i thought about lucas but i think i am going to rock the mobile 1... these motors have issues wiht heat anyway... granted i live in chicago and it really does not get that crazy hot i am still going to try and figure out a way to stick an oil cooler on it... just not sure how being that it is all contained in the engine... not like a harley or even some of the CB's i have worked on where the oil is in a sep oil container and the lines are exposed... so this should be intresting... JPcycles has a universal oil cooler for like 35 bucks... i am going to try and make that work... have to hunt the web to see if there is a how to anywere... i know i can get the adapter plate for the oil filter but aht is $$$ and i dont want to spend any more $$$... any other tips on keeping it cool?
http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...A-4D41F1751627

Quick Reply: got another ride yesterday