Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

GREAT IDEA!~ ya it is time to rejet...

Old 11-07-2008, 09:14 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,055 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
My brother is having trouble with his bike overheating. His bike is custom chopper with only a 2 qt. oil pan to it. The engine is Revtech 110 with a mikani 45 carb. After 20 miles of cruising the rear cyl turns off due to heat. We just changed the oil to Mobile 1 20/50 synthetic. This winter we are going to put on a oil cooler, but does anyone have any suggestions on another type or weight of oil that will keep the engine temperature down???? Someone once told me that if a take out the 20/50 and put synthetic 60 weight in I will solve the problem. Any suggestions??

any help would be AWESOME!!!!

More oil. Like everyone has already said.

My Jagg 14 row cooler holds a good amount of oil in itself,
and, if you run oversized lines, and,
extend the length of those lines,
even more capacity is available.

I think this Jagg unit was about 300 bux.
The day after I installed it, a friend was commenting
how well built, and, large.
Then, the next day, he called me and said he had a cooler for me.

He was running an old Volvo over the scales,
and when they picked it up to drop it on the crusher,
he spotted an oil (trans) cooler.

So, he cut it off and brought it to me for a "spare".

It is identical to my Jagg.
And says Setrab on it. Setrab makes them for Jagg.

mud..........

Old 11-08-2008, 01:29 PM
JRK5892
Banned

awesome mud!!! great help as always!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:28 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

It is a beatiful bike and I would think that your going to have to take a cooler and modify it to not take away from the lines of the bike and be functional. Look at this site and maybe you can get an idea http://www.tejasthumpcycles.com/Part...il_Coolers.htm

Old 12-06-2008, 11:22 AM
ARBY
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe it's that bling-bling flame paint keepin' the temps up!!! Seriously, a 2 qt. oil bag is NEVER going to work. 3 qts. is pretty much minimum on a stock 80" motor. I would run less than 4 qts. on that 110".

An oil cooler will drop the temp a bit but that's it. Don't forget that proper timing is a serious factor in keeping the V-Time engine cool so you may want to double check that. It's especially important for the rear jug which gets little or no cooling from the wind.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:23 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a bike like that was never designed to be ridden, tell him to sell it to some unlucky sap and buy a sportster.

how can you expect a two cylinder 110 cubic inch engine to stay cool without water cooling and only two quarts of oil. there is a reason harley engines are not 2.5L they spend years designing the motor so the maximum heat generated by the displacement is still able to flow through the fins and oil without overloading it.

it seriously seems like a bad engine design rather than a simple problem you can slap a band-aid fix onto.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:45 AM
JRK5892
Banned

we are going to re jet the bike, have it dyno tuned, add on a oil cooler and extended filter (will get another quart or more oil in there this way) Joe he LOVES this bike and LOVES to ride it... with a few changes i am sure that i can get it to where he can ride it every day... just needs a few little things done and it will be golden! he sold his sporty... after this winter of us working on it, we will then have it running strong... i am sure he will prob buy a st glide next to pimp, and then use this as a bar hopper...

Old 12-08-2008, 04:58 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
we are going to re jet the bike, have it dyno tuned, add on a oil cooler and extended filter (will get another quart or more oil in there this way) Joe he LOVES this bike and LOVES to ride it... with a few changes i am sure that i can get it to where he can ride it every day... just needs a few little things done and it will be golden! he sold his sporty... after this winter of us working on it, we will then have it running strong... i am sure he will prob buy a st glide next to pimp, and then use this as a bar hopper...
custom fab a bigger oil tank, might be ugly but i know you can make it work, this way the motor has an excess that stays cooler longer than overheating right away, and at any given time, a majority percentage of the circulating oil stays outside of the engine exposed to airflow rather than inside. this will help as much as, if not more, than an oil cooler. and i think it would look better than having a giant oil cooler on the bike and a long filter.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:11 AM
JRK5892
Banned

joe he and i have been thowing that idea aroudn as well... this frame has the oil bag molded in, however, i have been thinking of using a nitrous bottle (like the 2 quart) and adding that to the bottom of the swing arm... this would be an additional oil source and should work just fine, but then the issue comes in if the oil pump has enough ***** to push the oil around like that.... i am going to have to pull up the specs on this pump and see!.... we have a few ideas we are going to work with to see what is the best... i LOVE the way an oil cooler looks on a bike, but then again it is his ride so we will have to see

Old 12-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Snickers
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Heating

I think the idea of using a nitrous bottle to disguise the added oil would be the best way to go. Pump should have enough pressure and volume to run the system IF you keep the NOX at the same level as the built in tank.

Make the inlet to the bottle a little above the built in tank and the outlet of the bottle connect to the inlet of the built in tank.

Should not be any problem for the pumo as long as the lines are a little larger diameter than the oroginal ones. Basicly, you are just doubling the existing tank size and the routing really wont make a difference if the hieght is about the same.....

keep us posted, and difinately check out the timing and the jetting for the carb......too much heat is allways bad........

nick