Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008 | 05:07 PM
traveler
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default bobber update, day 14~little progress :(

Day 14,
&nbsp\\;
I am now at the point where I am waiting on my frame to come back from the powdercoaters.&nbsp\\; I went and spent a tad over 50 bucks on new nuts and bolts, so as to avoid having to re-use some of the bolts that look kinda tired.[&:]
&nbsp\\;
Started the day with polishing on the valvecovers with a buffing wheel and some brasso.&nbsp\\; I ensured the engine was masked off, as brasso goes flying everywhere, but worked well on the covers, as they were ROUGH
&nbsp\\;

&nbsp\\;

&nbsp\\;

&nbsp\\;

&nbsp\\;
I then moved on to drilling my drag bars so that the wiring clips I bought from J&amp\\;P could be used
&nbsp\\;

&nbsp\\;

&nbsp\\;
Then I threw everything on the bars together.&nbsp\\; The pieces are made of "pot metal" and I darn near stripped one hole.&nbsp\\; It stripped the first 1-2 threads but the rest are perfect, so I got lucky.&nbsp\\; It kind of cracked the surface in about 8 little tiny cracks around the top of the hole about 1/32nd to 1/16th long....really weird.&nbsp\\; After I was calmed down, I went back, took it apart and surveyed the damage.&nbsp\\; Looks like it's still good, so "disaster was averted."[&o]&nbsp\\; It is still perfect, just could tell that I need to be careful with this pot-metal crap.&nbsp\\; This is a pain to do without the bars moutned.&nbsp\\; So, I suggesst waiting until the bars are on the bike and tightened down.
&nbsp\\;

&nbsp\\;
As I said, I didn't get much done today, and am kind of bummed out.&nbsp\\; The swearing/shouting over what I initially though was going to be a ruined bolt thread, and being held up by my frame not being here.&nbsp\\; Can't do anything more until she gets back.
&nbsp\\;
Building a bike sure has it's ups and downs....soemtimes you're glad you're doing this, and sometimes you HATE it.[&:]
&nbsp\\;
Still going strong.
&nbsp\\;
~Joe
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-06-2008 | 07:41 PM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Default RE: bobber update, day 14~little progress :(

At least you got something done with your project. Thanks for the pictures and update, and you're right sometimes a project does have a real downer day.

Old 07-06-2008 | 08:17 PM
traveler
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks Rude.....I really like your scooters, by the way.&nbsp\\; Looks like you have a nice little girl as well.&nbsp\\; My baby girl is now a college student...they sure grow up fast, huh?
&nbsp\\;
~Joe
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-06-2008 | 08:20 PM
lolife
Road Warrior

Hang in there dude..........the reward is like no other................. . . . . ......You think its bad now.......... . . when your done you have accomplished something, most only dream of............... . . . .This wont be your last........................ . . . . . . . . ..............

Old 07-06-2008 | 08:25 PM
traveler
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Man, I hope you're right......I didn't pre-fit my motor....I took the guy's word for it at LedSled that it works...they said they do it all the time!&nbsp\\; Worse case, I'll have to space a couple brackets a hair, huh?
&nbsp\\;
This week I hope to get my frame back and get the motor installed
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
~Joe
&nbsp\\;