Custom Models All custom bikes.

Custom builders...a little help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:34 PM
LoneRyder
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom builders...a little help.

Trying to do a raw metal tank. I ordered a tank from JP cycles, un-finished of course. The tank was welded down the middle which the mfrdid a quick 1 pass grind job on. How do I go about smoothing these weld spots? Grinding one tank I smoothed out the weld only to reveal a nice crack in the tank. I know when you paint you use bondo to smooth it out but what about a raw metal finish? Dont worry about smoothing the welds or what? What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:26 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Default RE: Custom builders...a little help.

If you are going with a raw metal finish, I don't see how you can avoid repairing/building up the defective areas with weldment.
The definition of "raw metal finish" to me is uncoated metal. Is that what you intend to do or are you putting a clear coat on it?

Old 04-24-2008, 01:22 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

ORIGINAL: LoneRyder

Trying to do a raw metal tank. I ordered a tank from JP cycles, un-finished of course. The tank was welded down the middle which the mfrdid a quick 1 pass grind job on. How do I go about smoothing these weld spots? Grinding one tank I smoothed out the weld only to reveal a nice crack in the tank. I know when you paint you use bondo to smooth it out but what about a raw metal finish? Dont worry about smoothing the welds or what? What do you think? Thanks in advance.
I used a raw metal tank on a bike recently. Not sure if this is the right way or not, but its how we did it... We had to weld a couple spots so there was enoughmaterial to grind back down and smooth out. Had the tank pressure tested (it passed), and then finished smoothing with a little bondo before priming and painting.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:48 PM
LoneRyder
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its going to be a half paint, half bare metal finish with a clear coat yes. I am doing a copper treatment for the graphics with the background of bare metal showing through. Then I will be clearing over that. I am thinking that I will smooth the welds a touch and leave them. Supposed to be raw right? It's either that or I start learning to weld.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:06 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Sounds slick. Hope it works out for ya.
I hope ya learn to weld no matter what, it's a handy thing to know.