Custom Models All custom bikes.

Wrecked HD = good start for custom???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Leesiple
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecked HD = good start for custom???

anyone here use a wrecked hd for a starting point for a custom build? I know the titleing is much easier. any other points to ponder?

Old 02-06-2008, 03:41 PM
JamieCarr
Banned
Default RE: Wrecked HD = good start for custom???

so long as the frame ain't all twisted,...i'd say yea,..good place to start. Already has VIN#,.....thats a plus for sure,....no hassle with dmv.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Leesiple
Intermediate

I was thinking more of just using the engine and trans for a new build and possibly the downtube to title a pretty much ground up custom. I think it should work. I am having a fram built if I go this way. I want to build a bobber/chopper that will fit my 6'4" 260 lb frame. any suggestions?

Old 02-06-2008, 04:04 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to research the title requirements in your state. Bill of sale for donor, MCO for frame, etc. I built my own from scratch but at the time I was inc. so was able to issue my own VIN. For that purpose all parts had to be new.
I wish you luck, building/riding your own is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.
At least double your expected assy time, lots of little stuff takes longer than you think.
Have fun!

[IMG]local://upfiles/36103/0998220B9ECB400FA2B70CEFA5AF0900.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36103/88F922E6E20B419CBE01D8E16D57785A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-06-2008, 07:01 PM
MCsMGs
Novice

Check this thread out for my build based on a wrecked fatboy...

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2454223/tm.htm

Old 02-06-2008, 11:14 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Leesiple,
I bought my bike from a salvage yard.The bike came from Oregon and I live in California but that turned out to not be any kind of a problem. Registering it required putting on all the stuff that year motorcycle would have originally had on it, reflectors and such, for the brake and light inspection. All in all, no big problem getting it registered. I had to deal with the DMV, the CHP, and a shop that did the brake and light inspection.
Your plan sounds like a good one.All I cansuggest is that you do the leg work up front to find out what your state requires to register the bike so you avoid having to rework anything to comply with what they want.
Of course, get a title from the seller...otherwise it might be wiser to just walk away and find another.
Good luck!!

Old 02-07-2008, 05:19 AM
rebeltruce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're off to a good start, so long as the title isn't a salvaged title.

There are a fewframe builders out there that will take the neck from the donor and build a frame around it, you should have no trouble registering the 'custom' that way.

Insurance and state inspection could be a little tricky.

I used a '98' Sportster Sport as a donor, the only parts I used were the neck, motor, and front end. I've never had a problem with registration, and it is insured as a '98' Sportster.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:00 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

rebeltruce,
My bike has a salvage title. It hasn't caused me any problems. Perhaps someday I'll run into a problem if Itry to sell itbecause buyerswill beconcerned about the title.Of course, I intend to ride this thing until it's so worn out nobody will want it even if it didn't say "salvage" on the title so it may be a moot point in my case.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:36 AM
rebeltruce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in Virginia, it's a bit of a hassle to get a Salvaged Titled bike re-registered.....has to be inspected by DMV, that means like you said it has to be brought back to factory specs.

That means same frame...on and on. Basically not a custom at that point, it's a real pain in the butt.....Now if a person wanted to get a 'special' construction there are even more hoops to jump through...LOL That means a whole new VIN number is issued....better to buy a donor, here in Va anyway, that has clean paperwork.

The only real problem is insurance, imagine an insurance adjuster coming out to look at a wrecked 99 Lowrider and seeing a rigid frame with a 250 tire, that may be worth 2 or 3 times as much as the stock 99 Lowrider....you'd be lucky to even get the Lowrider money for the repairs.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:50 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

After 2 frame up builds and dealing with the DMV,it is not a big deal at all.As long as all the paperwork is up to date,and you follow what their packet has to say,you will be golden.

Quick Reply: Wrecked HD = good start for custom???