Custom Models All custom bikes.

Choppers ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007 | 11:17 AM
mulch63
|
Road Master
Default Choppers ???

I realize I need to take the info on the internet with a grain of salt. I've been reading about Big Dog & AIH choppers and they both scare me ! Seems like there is constant failure of electric components and lack of support. I was gonna pickup a '04 Big Dog and all I hear about is theECM/EHM or whatever it is. Then I was reading on some otherforums of the Texas Chopper and folks saying "run the other way". Have tools and spare parts when traveling. I read trouble even with the S&S motors!!Guys.....stick with my Harley ???

Jim

Old 10-12-2007 | 11:23 AM
R Racing
Tourer
Default RE: Choppers ???

Do what i did, Turn your Harley into a chopper!!!

Jim

Old 10-12-2007 | 01:09 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

I agree!!

Mod your existing bike! Big Dogs seem to have electrical issues, and sometimes the starters give out.......may have been addressed by the factory now, but the local Big-Dog dealer seems to always be fixing electrical woes....

Your softtail could look completely different with some raked trees ( 7 degrees),a slammed rear end ( 2 inch drop), and a "Bare Bones" Le Para solo seat, IMHO.....

~Joe

Old 10-12-2007 | 09:14 PM
michele205mmi
Advanced

HMMMMM

Old 10-13-2007 | 12:29 PM
hotrod351
Road Warrior

funny how they can't seem to make after market last as long as good old stock harley parts.

Old 10-14-2007 | 09:28 AM
dmaxdiva
Intermediate

Well, I'm not even sure where to start when it comes to issues with the Big Dog. I bought a BD chopper back in '03 and could literally write a novel regarding the problems I've had. In retrospect, this bike should have been submittedfor Lemon Law protection, but I just kept hoping that the issues could be ironed out somehow...silly me. [&o]

In a nutshell, if you plan on buying a Big Dog;

Plan on multiple electrical problems, starter issues, engineissues (I went through two S&S 107's before upgrading to the Ultima 127...best thing I ever did). Plan on crappy customer service and maddening indifference from BD corporate, plan on outrageous insurance premiums (remember, it's a custom) and plan on finding a reputable mechanic whom you can trust to finally fix said problems....then,

plan on having the time of your life when you're in the wind on that big, brutal, beautiful beast!

[sm=Awwww.gif]

DMD

oh, and plan on buying a dresser for long trips, unless you can pack really light!

Old 10-14-2007 | 01:25 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Stay H/D

Old 10-14-2007 | 03:10 PM
mulch63
|
Road Master

Man I feel your pain. I remember years ago when I had a Sporty Chopper and it was a '77. Carried a LOT of tools. OOO and oil dry.

Anyway I wanted a chopper for years and bought all kinds of bike, the last two Harleys and I STILL want a chopper. I rode a Proper Chopper yesterday and loved the bike but it vibrated like nuts. Clean wiring and seemed built good but just not what I wanted......but close.

spoke with another fellow who had a Swift Barchopper. SWEEEEEET. No troubles at all. So you like the Ultima engine. The more I read the more confused. I quess there's good and bad in every engine.

Old 10-15-2007 | 06:43 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

I got an 04 Texas Chopper in late 03. They had a lot of problems with speedometers, I had mine replaced 3 times. The last one worked perfect. The service from my dealer was always outstanding. The bike was wonderful for the 3 years that I had it. I had to let it go when I bought a new house last year. I missed it so much, although I have a very nice 85 FXWG, that I bought a used05 AIH LSC. The speedometer wasn't working when I bought the bike, but it has 13 months left on the warranty. Even though I didn't buy the bike from my dealer, he has taken great care of me. He ordered the replacement speedo for me and replaced it for me while I waited/helped. I have since had an ignition problem that turned out to be a crank position sensor. Again, the service was excellent. Get an American Ironhorse from a good dealer and you will be happy. If you are even remotely close to Fredericksburg VA, go to Mark Long AIH. You will not be sorry. There is an AIH dealer in southern MD (closer to me), but there you will be sorry. If your not comfortable with the dealer go somewhere else. Get the right dealer and you will be happy.

Old 10-15-2007 | 08:03 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

You will always hear and remember all the bad things,about a product it is human nature.S&S motors are bulletproof,the electronics can be fixed on any motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Choppers ???