Rigids

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:10 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Rigids

ORIGINAL: 2blackbelts

A rigid does transfer power better to the ground, but only if the road is smooth, and there is no wheel hop or bounce.

Secondly, a rigid just won't ride as smooth on any highway, no matter how smooth they look. It can get rather scarey going into a turn, and discover the road is rough and your rear wheel strats to hop or stray. A sprung seat will not correct any of this problem.

Third, someone mentioned just letting the air pressure out.This is extremely dangerous, and no tires really should be run underinflated, or below the mfg. guidelines for air pressure. Ever had a bead come off on an underinflated tire?

Finally, alot of crap is said about "real bikers ride rigids." Really, does this mean that every guy on this forum who doesn't ride a rigid is not a biker? Doyou have to kickstart your bike also to be a biker?

The bottem line is this. Build,buy, ride what you want. It's your bike, your life, your ride. Good luck.

2 blackbelts
I ride a rigid Evo kick start only. In the 15 yrs since I built it I've lost my butt to age. I added 2" of foam to the back of my Cobra seat to protect my, now exposed, tailbone. It has worked great.
It does give that firm hookup when you get on it hard, love that part.
I agree underinflating is not the answer if you go over 30 mph. As far as hopping or skidding in bumpy corners, it recovers quickly without fear of losing it. Thanks to my bikes long wheelbase I feel comfortable doing a little "flat tracking" as it bobs its way through a high speed corner. Kinda fun!
Being unusual, I do get welcomed attention, am I a "real biker" cause I ride a rigid kicker, Who the F'ck cares!

[IMG]local://upfiles/36103/2DE19A0BD10F41EAA4E1928D2A4157EC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36103/69D03B634BCD491086FA7267DDA6A78E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-03-2008, 11:14 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you've you've never owned a rigid, I'd say go for it. Like some one else said here you got your whole life ahead of you. Use you existing bike that way if later on you could convert back or start a project bike. Purchase a legal frame, hunt down a motor/tranny etc... and build as you can afford, putting on the stuff you like. Girder,springer, narrow glide, wide glide, drag bars, ape hangers,foot clutch/stick shift. open or closed belt drive on and on.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:50 PM
gottahavvitt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode my last rigid for 15 years with a nice well sprung seat and loved every minute of it. Man. I miss that bike but the OL got tired of bouncing 4 feet in the air every time I hit a big bump or hole.
I am probably going to build another one just like it next year.

TRY IT YOU"LL LIKE IT

Old 03-09-2008, 01:47 AM
Live2sho
Advanced

I haven't riden my dyna since getting the rigid 5 months ago. Actually sold it this week for the lack of riding it.
I should of gone rigid when I first started riding but hey I'm only 27. Build the rigid you won't regret it.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:25 PM
gottahavvitt
Cruiser

Me and the OL were going through some old pics the other night and I came across a few pics of my old Evo rigid I built back in 1988.
I miss this bike and plan on building another one just like it next year

[IMG]local://upfiles/48697/A560D24DAECD4DB48787DB25E9664AB8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/48697/5FAB77A34CB94D17BEE0E3CC5FC2FA4E.jpg[/IMG]

The pics aren't that good. I had to scan them into my puter. They didn't have digital cameras back then

Old 03-11-2008, 01:07 PM
ironheads
Intermediate

My rigid '71 sportster with the spring seat is just as easy on my *** as my '85 with the progressive shocks turned all the way up and a regular seat. If your building a chop, build a chop. hardtail all the way. Gotta learn to avoid potholes. More of a control thing than a comfort thing. I've had my bike jump almost into the other lane on a good pothole. I always shoot toward the "cool" side. if you're worried about comfort, buy a car. Good luck on your project. Make sure you keep us updated on the progress.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:42 AM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah I know what you mean. I just bought a a 84 sportsterbobber hard tail. What a ride, still getting use to it. I want to add blinkers and a horn just for inspection.they have nice small led lights now . I also have a 98 super glide that is like riding a caddilac.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:48 AM
1nuckenfut
Cruiser

At 21, you can afford to get your *** kicked for a few years. In 20 years you will have strories about, "back in the day..............."! Congrats and good luck on starting your build. Can't wait to see some pics.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:44 PM
alwaysarider
Cruiser

Danny, I realize this is a late post to this thread, but just wanted to congratulate you on your decision to go rigid. I was also hesitant to by the rigid I have now. But once I rode it, I was convinced - absolutely love the ride, feel, etc. And I'm 53, with a back surgery. BTW, the seat plays a big part. This one has lots of back support, which is nice when you are in the middle of a bumpy road. You can just push with your legs, making you sit up a bit off the seat, thereby avoiding any major impact. It's nice on long trips too.

[IMG]local://upfiles/39127/425D07CDF4EE4CE0B088EBC772592E9C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-25-2008, 03:14 PM
lolife
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rigids Rule.......................... . . . . . . ...................................

Quick Reply: Rigids