Custom Models All custom bikes.

Rigids

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 02:47 PM
skitzo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rigids

Go for it, I ride a mutant and that thing is a monster, but you do get the sore *** once in a while.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:42 AM
Joker441
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 79 rigid and its a blast to ride, but about 24 years ago I wrecked a 83 superglide and screwed up my lower back. So I had to admit that I was getting old and so I got a 94 Electra, aka "Geezer Glide". And got to admit, its pretty easy to ride. I still have the rigid and love to ride it but long trips just kill me so I take the the ol man scoot. Here are some pics:

Love the ol skool, but sure is nice to be able to relax on a long run and not have my *** go numb.
Joker

Old 01-01-2008, 01:22 PM
motor134
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rigid is cool for looks but Softail is best for ride.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:04 PM
xtreme77mopar
Advanced

As for me I have the option to ride a softail or rigid, honelsty I love the power transfer of a rigid compared to the softail. just my 2 cents

Old 01-27-2008, 08:55 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If you can take the pain the rigid ride is the best Go with spoked wheels/springer type front end/ sprung seat Rigids are truly the best ride for high horsepower bikes Oh by the way live in an area with good roads!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Abe_Lugo
Advanced

I think it's less about back issue and more about length of time on the road.
I ride my rigid to and from work about 2 days a week when it running nice and all.
It's only about 22 miles each way and I feel it in my whole body if I ride much more than that.
I'm building a softail now. BTW I'm 29.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:15 PM
DYNA JIM
Road Captain

Love the rigids, but not here in michigan.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:50 PM
2blackbelts
Novice

Since I just joined today, I'll humbly throw my two cents in, whatever it is worth.

I started riding HD in 1966 when I was 13 on a 1946- 45 flathead that I found in a chicken coup. Yes, it was a rigid. Back then, roads are not what they are now, even though many of you still probably have highways that haven't been touched for 30 years.

A rigid does transfer power better to the ground, but only if the road is smooth, and there is no wheel hop or bounce.

Secondly, a rigid just won't ride as smooth on any highway, no matter how smooth they look. It can get rather scarey going into a turn, and discover the road is rough and your rear wheel strats to hop or stray. A sprung seat will not correct any of this problem.

Third, someone mentioned just letting the air pressure out. Vengeance said to do this on TV when talking to Michelle Smith about their rigid. Later, a retraction had to be made. A pound or two of less air pressure is fine, but some guys are saying to run 12 -16 pounds. This is extremely dangerous, and no tires really should be run underinflated, or below the mfg. guidelines for air pressure. Ever had a bead come off on an underinflated tire?

Rigids may look better, they may not. This is just an opinion everyone is entitled to.

Finally, alot of crap is said about "real bikers ride rigids." Really, does this mean that every guy on this forum who doesn't ride a rigid is not a biker? Doyou have to kickstart your bike also to be a biker?

The bottem line is this. Build,buy, ride what you want. It's your bike, your life, your ride. Good luck.

2 blackbelts

Old 03-02-2008, 03:55 PM
DannyNucclz
Intermediate

First off, thanks to everyone who responded. It's been a long time coming but I finally got the parts together for my build. Paughco ridid frame with no stretch and 35 degrees of rake, +2 DNA springer, 40 spoke wheels with a 21" Me880 up frontand a 160-16" ME880 in the rear, domed oil tank and Nash Gimp Hangers. i am custom fabricating the Exhaust, forward controls and sissy bar. In true bobber form, no front fender or signals (at leats until I start getting citations). Decided to go with the rigid cause ,well thats what I wanted and **** it, you only live once. Got some free time coming up so I should be able to bang the bike out in about a month. I'll definately be posting some picks once the work starts this week.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Steve Sears
3rd Gear

for just cruising around town...Rigid

Quick Reply: Rigids