Custom Models All custom bikes.

Advice on a custom

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Tx883c
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on a custom

My father-in-law is wanting to build a custom chopper. I will be helping extensively with the fabrication. However, neither one of us has ever built a bike before and need all the advice we can get what are some tips that would be helpful to a true novice.

Old 11-29-2005, 02:24 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Advice on a custom

Ok, you have opened a large can of fun here. A few questions you must answer for yourself first.
I am a Computer Scientist. I did have shop classes in high school and I did rebuild a Mini Cooper
before I attempted to build a bike from the frame up. I am having fun building and riding mine.

There are a few books out there on building kit bikes and customs. Get one or two and read them.
Make sure they include wiring.

If you are going to buy a kit...

1. What kind? Chopper, pro-street, bobber, softail, hard tail, ......

2. Compare your style with several builders kits.

3. Ask for references, who has bought the kit and contact them for opinions.

If you are going to build one from scratch...

1. What kind of custom? Chopper, pro-street, bobber, softail, hard tail, ......

2. What kind of engine? Sporty, Knuckle, Pan, Evo, TC-88A, TC-88B, Revolution, .....

4. What size tires?

5. What front end? Springer, narrow glide, wide glide, ....

6. Now you can pic a frame to match and start aquiring parts

7. Learn to weld or find a good welder to help you.

8. Look for things on ebay, you can save a bundle if you can find what you want there. You might even find a roller on ebay that matches your style.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:33 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure your not lacking on tools, especially electrical and metal fabricating tools. Plasma cutter,multiple grinders, sawzall and bandsaw,cutoff wheels,compressor,grinder etc. should all be at your disposal.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:15 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You may want to look into a bike in a box. As you can mix and match the biuke to build what you want and all the parts are there. Or start with a roller as most of the heavy fab work is done for you. Unless you have the plasma torch, tig or a mig compressor, grinding tools, and so on. The kit bikes are not bad as they have all the parts for you to do the build. I sell 1-2 a month. When you buy a fram from here and fender from there most of it is needing fab work , to mount correctly . I use a few different kits I have had customers do the kit themselves and had good luck and enjoyed doing there own bike without having to buy a 1000's in tools for the build.

Old 11-30-2005, 05:01 PM
tekman
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

if I personally had the cash to build a bike i'd go with a BBC kit. first, they're a manufacturer, so easy to finance and insure, no "special contruction", and all their bikes are real high quality stuff... go and check www.clubchopper.com a lot of guys there have built BBC kits..

Old 11-30-2005, 05:38 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tekman

if I personally had the cash to build a bike i'd go with a BBC kit. first, they're a manufacturer, so easy to finance and insure, no "special contruction", and all their bikes are real high quality stuff... go and check www.clubchopper.com a lot of guys there have built BBC kits..
BBC link http://www.bigbearchoppers.com/index.html

They are way cool. But if you build from the frame up it will be a lot less expensive. Yes, more work and special construction inspections, but its your way.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:59 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Get a Flyrite Choppers roller for $2500.00 !!!!! limited time offer, now available for sporty motors or Big Twin (pre-Twin cam.... )

Of course these are old skool bobbers..........

joe

Old 12-02-2005, 12:07 AM
MegaHDman
Banned

Do it right, dont waste yer time with those rolling kits, takes all the fun out of the custom. Get a frame and work your way from there. There are alot of frames available now where you can use a twin cam engine for your platform.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:16 AM
Tx883c
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm kinda thinking, Softail style pro-street w/twin cam. Its outta the price range but I'd LOVE to be able to do something with that El Bruto 127" motor that thing is awesome!!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2005, 01:00 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: Tx883c

I'm kinda thinking, Softail style pro-street w/twin cam. Its outta the price range but I'd LOVE to be able to do something with that El Bruto 127" motor that thing is awesome!!!!!!!
Outta your price range? The idea of a custom is to take your time and do it right the first time. If money gets a bit depleted, just set the project down as it is and wait until your money suplly is reinvigorated. You dont need to complete a custom in a week or months time. Take your time and do it right the first time. Get the frame that YOU really want, the forks you really want. Get a twin cam engine and transmission case(if that be the engine you want, but the twin cam cubic inch for cubic inch will get you the most powerfull engine)that you want. Work from the ground up! The key is to take your time. El Bruto 127"?? Give me a built 114" Twin cam and Ill stomp that El Cheapo aftermarket engine into the ground! LOL!

Quick Reply: Advice on a custom