Custom Models All custom bikes.

Custom softail 240mm rear tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Westro
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom softail 240mm rear tire questions

First of I have a pretty good idea of that i want or want to build.

It is going just be a pretty mellow softail based bike.
100+hp fuel injected motor
inverted front end
220 or 240mm rear tire
no downtube stretch
maybe 2 inches of backbone stretch
6 speed tranny

Now my questions, I want to put 10K+ miles a year on this bike. I know this isn't a touring bike but that is what I have been averaging on my harley.

So does a wide tire/offset tranny really make a balance difference with a 220 or 240 rear? Is it worth it to go to a right side drive bike to balance the bike back out.

Most frames I see seem like they have less rear suspension than like an 07 softail standard. Is this true or is just apear that way with many of the rear fenders put on the custom bikes.

And most importantly is it feasable to try to put this type of mileage on, and about 1/2 this mileage will be with the wife on back... so I would like to put a sissy bar or backrest type seat on the bike.

I would have an 07 softail but the first thing you would do is rip 1/6 of the parts off and customize it up... Always figure a custom type bike would be a better approach for me, so that I could get the motor and baker tranny I have always wanted.

Sorry so long.. comments is what I need.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:32 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor
Default RE: Custom softail 240mm rear tire questions

ORIGINAL: Westro

First of I have a pretty good idea of that i want or want to build.

It is going just be a pretty mellow softail based bike.
100+hp fuel injected motor
inverted front end
220 or 240mm rear tire
no downtube stretch
maybe 2 inches of backbone stretch
6 speed tranny

Now my questions, I want to put 10K+ miles a year on this bike. I know this isn't a touring bike but that is what I have been averaging on my harley.

So does a wide tire/offset tranny really make a balance difference with a 220 or 240 rear? Is it worth it to go to a right side drive bike to balance the bike back out.

Most frames I see seem like they have less rear suspension than like an 07 softail standard. Is this true or is just apear that way with many of the rear fenders put on the custom bikes.

And most importantly is it feasable to try to put this type of mileage on, and about 1/2 this mileage will be with the wife on back... so I would like to put a sissy bar or backrest type seat on the bike.

I would have an 07 softail but the first thing you would do is rip 1/6 of the parts off and customize it up... Always figure a custom type bike would be a better approach for me, so that I could get the motor and baker tranny I have always wanted.

Sorry so long.. comments is what I need.

Buy a used big dog, or Iron horse....what ever you buy get a right side drive, there is a difference....this is the first time I can ever remember that you could buy cheaper than you can build (kinda like the hot rod market at times). Change the front end, sell the old one on Ebay, put fuel injection on it.

I have seen some really really good deals out there right, now, and would be happy to help you with parts, parts have gotten cheaper, but it's a buyers market, and there have been hundred's of choppers out there built exactly like you want. Let me know if I can help....I know the custom market pretty well, even find you a bike and convert it if you want.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Westro
5th Gear

This is good to hear. I have always wondered how much better a right side drive is over a left side drive with a 240 or bigger rear tire.

I have also noticed that custom bikes are in the toilet, I have looked at a few Big Dog bikes (2002 and an 2003). They are about what I want and are below 15K, I can't build it for that. But they are are all closed primary and left side drive with 240mm rears.

I was thinking I wanted a 220 rear, I like the look of the fat tire but like I said plan on putting some pretty good miles on this bike so the ridability/reliability is number 1 for this build.

Thanks for the input.

Any suggestion in a good right side drive frame, and can you comment on the suspension travel as to lend to a good good ride on those pothole filled rodes out to sturgis!

Old 08-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Westro
5th Gear

A question I have always wondered also, is at what point do you need to offset the tranny? 180mm, 200mm, 220mm ect. This might influenace the size tire that I put on.

Thanks

Old 09-20-2007, 01:35 PM
skitzo
Cruiser

Just buy a bike form ebay that is to your specs for leess, and there is no difference between the 200-250 handles great.
You dont get a chopper to go do the dragon on it.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:30 PM
rockerhead
Road Captain

check out heartlandbikers

Old 09-25-2007, 01:07 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

I just got an 05 AIH LSC, 280 rear tire, RSD 6 speed, 13 months of full factory warranty remaining, 1150 miles, pretty cool looking factory custom paint, bike in nearly perfect condition, less then $16k. less then half of what my 04 Texas chopper cost when bought new.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:09 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

its generally accepted that bigger then 250 requires RSD.

ORIGINAL: Westro

A question I have always wondered also, is at what point do you need to offset the tranny? 180mm, 200mm, 220mm ect. This might influenace the size tire that I put on.

Thanks