frame chopping

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 10:55 AM
howie_the_yowie
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frame chopping

Hello people
I just registered here after reading lots.
I have a hundred questions....

If I had an FLH frame or roller from the late 70's up until pre evos;
What work would be involved in fitting an Evo motor, or a twin cammer as a second choice?
I want some extended forks, can this all be done without major fabrication?
I have access to a engineering workshop,I can get machining done but is it possible without major hassles.

I guess a gearbox upgrade would be neccesary?

I am open to fitting or modifications...I like the retro/old look.
I want a newer driveline for reliability.
I am new to owning Harleys, I have had some Euro road bikes and cruisers...
I will be landing in Cali mid next year to shop around for parts, buy and party for a few months.
I am looking to ride and explore too....
I am glad I found this forum

Old 11-04-2005, 01:37 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts
Default RE: frame chopping

Welcome to da joint!

You asked so many questions my head is hurting!

Depending upon the frame modifications - stretch, especially in the down tubes - most anything can fit, but with sometimes serious modifications to mounts, etc. Stock 4 speed frame - an Evo will fit, but a Twinkie won't. The Evo will bolt right up to the existing mounts.

Extended forks as in fork tubes, or are you talking about making a springer or girder? If tubes, lots of maching, and they are "centerless ground" before final polish & chrome. Internal dimensions are critical.

You can still use a 4 speed ratchet top tranny, or a 4 speed rotary top tranny; you don't have to go to the 5 speed.

California, eh? Only Russell Mitchell (Exile) makes real bikes out that way. Well, maybe Zero Engineering, too.

Old 11-04-2005, 02:16 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Rather than using an old frame and cutting it you might think about going to a Pauchgo frame. They make them in all sorts of configurations for all types of motors and trannys. That way you can get the retro but have a well made frame.

Old 11-04-2005, 02:31 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with panz, although I realize some people want to do EVERYTHING themselves, even fabricate the frame. I need a softail, my back would not handle a hard tail unless it was a mile long and flexed a great deal. I went with a DNA frame, pauchgo is good and there are a few more out there. Make sure you post your progress with lots of pics. I will be posting a link to mine soon.

Old 11-05-2005, 12:22 AM
howie_the_yowie
Novice

Thanks for the replies people.
I thought if I could pick up a neat FLH or something from the 70's, even late 60's
And fit it out with a newer Evo, and I think a 5 speed would be better for highway cruising(or are the top ratios the same?)
I was thinking of pulling the Evo out of the softail and fitting an EL bruto or SS big cube motor, and using the Evo in a FLH. And try and bluff my way through customs, as far as value and taxes go...heheheh

I was hoping for a FLH, a 89 softail, and something old and classy maybe a pan.
I can't import anything later than 31st Dec. 1989, due to customs being a$$ holes[:'(]
As far as the forks go, I wanted a bit of a rake but nothing radical chopper like.
I guess that would be achieved by moding the frame? I am glad to hear an Evo will fit in with little mods.
What about a dresser Electroglide? are they basically a FLH?
IF I took off all the dresser gear would I get something looking ok?
I have seen a few older Dressers that seem a bit cheaper.

Do you guys think Cali would be a place to look for the above bikes?As in a large number of bikes to look at. I would be prepared to drive a few hundred Mile radius....I was thinking of buying a cheap pickup for a few months.

I got a million more questions guys, I will chill for a while..heheheh
Again,Thanks for the replies.
Jason

Old 11-05-2005, 01:29 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Pre FLT dressers have the same frame as an FX. Stripped down, they look great. Later FL dressers have the new frames, near vertical rear shocks, and inverted front forks (tubes behind the plane of the frame neck). Stripped down, they look like crap.

Top ratio in a 5 speed is same as 4 speed; that is, the 5 speed ain't an overdrive. You can get 5-in-4 & 6-in-4 trannies now. Baker makes good ones.

Better prices & less miles on bikes from states with winters. Less miles 'cause of winter. Lower prices 'cause of winter. Prices rise as spring and riding season nears.

Raking the frame is always the best and most aesthetically pleasing way to run a long front end.

Look here for some ideas on bikes, prices, locations:

http://www.cycletrader.com/adsearch.html

Old 11-05-2005, 03:44 AM
howie_the_yowie
Novice

Ok, just one more quick question then......
What years would be pre FLT dressers be?
thanks for the info pococj, much appreciated mate
Ok I just figured it out when I saw a few for sale
pre 86...i think?

Old 11-05-2005, 01:30 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

The first FLT came out in 1980. The FLH models at that time still had the oilder 4 speed type frame. The FLT 5 speed came out in 1983. The FLH models were still old-style frame and 4 speeds, I think. It's pretty easy to tell from a picture whether the old frame or new frame is used. Old frame has battery box on right side, oil tank on left side. Look at any '70s model FL series, and you'll see what I'm referring to. The new frame bikes have a plastic side cover about where the battery and oil tank would be positioned on the older bikes. Look at any of the present bikes and the side covers are plainly visible.

If you're wanting to build up something that looks more old school, get a late 70s FL or FX, any Evo motor, and maybe a Baker 5-in-4 with kicker tranny. Going from those components, you'll have the looks and the reliability and ease of maintenance.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:36 AM
howie_the_yowie
Novice

Ok, I can now do some research on parts, bikes etc
Thanks for the lowdown on the older stuff.

Old 11-14-2005, 03:03 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: howie_the_yowie

As far as the forks go, I wanted a bit of a rake but nothing radical chopper like.
I guess that would be achieved by moding the frame? I am glad to hear an Evo will fit in with little mods.
You can get a few degrees of rake with a custom triple tree and no frame mod is necessary. Here is a link
to what I am talking about. Like part number 1060526 at the bottom right of the page.

http://www.customchrome.com/catalogs/ccp/1130.html

You can get them on ebay a lot cheaper with rakes from 3-7 degreees.

Quick Reply: frame chopping