Classic All 'historic' bikes.

Newbie question: Old bikes vs new bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:53 PM
MalteseFalcn
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie question: Old bikes vs new bikes?

Howdy! I've never ridden a vintage/classic bike, and was wondering how they differ from today's modern bikes (without getting too technical; in laymen's terms I mean).

I assume that since I can operate a new bike, I could operate a classic bike, right? But what are the differences in handling, feel, acceleration, quirks, etc?

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2010, 12:04 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

If nothing else, new bikes definitely brake better than the "classics", especially ones with drum brakes or a drum rear/disk front combo.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:54 PM
asham
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an 1980 Super Glide with an after market Wide Glide front end, dual plug heads, mild cam, SS carb and drag pipes (of course). It drives like a dump truck. But I LOVE it! Nothing sounds or rides like a shovel.

Just bought a 08 Ultra. Completely Stock. Drives like a Cadillac, and I LOVE that too.

If you are a good experienced rider... You can ride anything.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:10 PM
r2bomber
Stage III

The difference is big, however, it is that difference that makes vintage bikes so appealing to so many. The biggest things being the brakes, suspension and durability. Ive restored and rode a large number of vintage bikes. It's amazing how much technology has advanced. For instance, In 1972 Kawasaki released the KZ 900. It was the first modern large displacement (over 750 cc) four cylinder motorcycle with double over head camshaft. The KZ is a classic collector bike. If you ride one today it's almost shocking that that motor is coupled with suspension and brakes that wouldn't cut it on a 125cc bike of today. It's really fun riding something like that you feel the whole bike strain and reacting to it's weak points.

Technology just hadn't advanced in certain area's equally. I recall an interview with Motocross legend Roger Decoster. Up until the 80's racing was a combination of going as fast as you could without going so fast you break the bike. Today that just isn't the case.

In a lot of ways there are a lot of parallels to riding vintage bikes and riding Harleys.
One doesn't ride vintage bikes because they handle the best or they are the fastest, you ride them because you love motorcycles, motorcycling and the history. Same with riding a Harley. One doesn't ride Harleys because they handle the best or they are the fastest, you ride them because you love motorcycles, motorcycling and the history and all that goes with that.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:11 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MalteseFalcn
Howdy! I've never ridden a vintage/classic bike, and was wondering how they differ from today's modern bikes (without getting too technical; in laymen's terms I mean).

I assume that since I can operate a new bike, I could operate a classic bike, right? But what are the differences in handling, feel, acceleration, quirks, etc?

Thanks!
Don't assume you can just jump on a classic and take off. My 68 has a tank shift and a foot clutch. It also has a mechanical brake and a drum brake so stopping is something you have to prepare for.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:40 PM
RSmith5150
Stage II

Im looking into getting a harley. Ive owned a few old foreign jobies that ive built into choppers. Currently is an xs 650 rigid frame bobber. I love the look and nostalia of the old bikes. Im debating on buying a newer harley vs an antique harley. The thing that is holding me back from getting an older one is the maintenance nightmares i keep hearing about with panheads, shovelheads etc. I do enjoy working on motorcycles but only to a certain extent. i also would want it to be something i can ride and enjoy without getting pissed off everytime i leave the driveway. Im just an around town sort of rider. are these older bikes as terrible as people make them out to be?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:44 AM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RSmith5150
Im looking into getting a harley. Ive owned a few old foreign jobies that ive built into choppers. Currently is an xs 650 rigid frame bobber. I love the look and nostalia of the old bikes. Im debating on buying a newer harley vs an antique harley. The thing that is holding me back from getting an older one is the maintenance nightmares i keep hearing about with panheads, shovelheads etc. I do enjoy working on motorcycles but only to a certain extent. i also would want it to be something i can ride and enjoy without getting pissed off everytime i leave the driveway. Im just an around town sort of rider. are these older bikes as terrible as people make them out to be?
If all you want to do is ride, buy a new one. If you enjoy working on them, there is nothing wrong with a well maintained Shovelhead. Buy one as close to stock as you can find. Stay away from modified motors, you don't know how well the modification was done and a stroker has a much shorter life then a stock engine.
Panheads are over priced and most are too worn out to be reliable. The heads are the weak point and they are ungodly expensive to replace with a good stock one and replicas are also far too expensive.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:20 PM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well having shocks/suspension is nice compared to pre 1958 and we have more power now too! The old bikes had a lower center of gravity and I used to scrape the floor boards on mine while cornering.Electric start makes it pretty easy to get it going along with the 12 volt system and when you had a breakdown on the road we always carried tools so we could get it running again instead of needing a flippen computer to figure it out.But other than those few items they are still Harleys!