Classic All 'historic' bikes.

Question here....

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 05:44 PM
luvriding
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ANOTHER QUESTION HERE....

When the bike was purchased new, I was told by a friend that I had myself a "collector's item." I've also been told that the bike is"blue printed," (installed 95 Stage III purchased new).

My intention, since the bike was bought, is to only add accessories that were issued in '03, keeping the theme of an 100th Anniversary FLSTF Fatboy.

I've been told time and time again "why haven't I added hangers, different wheels, etc. to "change out" the stock look.

Wondering if I'm heading the right direction in keeping this as an actual "collector's item." Any thoughts?

Old 08-09-2007, 07:03 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

If you hang on to your '03 another25to50 years and keep it stock and near mint, you might be able to call it a collector's item. Till then, it is just another one of the several hundred thousand anniversary bikes that the MoCo made, IMO.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:46 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,520 Posts

I think a classic is something that stands the test of time, a bike that is unique (for lack of a better choice of words) and somehow gains a life of its own so to speak. The first /last knuckle, the first /last pan come to mind with ease. The first sporsters, the first FX shovels / the last year shovels as well. These brought (and ended)something important to MoCo.

I don't see how a 93 whatever EVO can ever be considered a classic; to me it was definitely a milestone for HD but for what its worth it was a huge marketing ploy and it worked. How many hundreds of thousands were produced?

Seems like today HD is introducing something "new" every year, but is it really that or is it just a marketing ploy to get folks to buy a newer bike to replacethe reliable one they already have in their garage.