Classic All 'historic' bikes.

shovel pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 05:50 PM
tomm
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shovel pics

i bought this bike over the summer from the original owner long time friend ray the bike has 84700 mi. on it but still runs pretty good planning a complete do over this winter

Attached Thumbnails shovel pics-shovel.jpg   shovel pics-shovel1.jpg   shovel pics-shovel2.jpg  
Old 01-07-2009, 03:49 AM
tomm
Cruiser

well the complete redo is well under way frame is off to the powder coaters engine and trans is at local indys and have ordered 2g in other parts besides have not decided on a color yet but leaning toward black powder coat anybody have any exsperance with powder coating tins

Old 01-07-2009, 05:49 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain

The shovel looks GREAT! What year? Judging by some of the parts I'm guessing 79-80?? I ride a 76 FLH so I'm a little partial to the classics.

Anyway, powder coating tins isn't a problem at all as long as they are straight. Bondo or fiberglass fillers won't work so if you have any areas that need fix'n and you want powder coat your better off getting new parts. There are metal fillers for minor imperfections but they are very limited to thickness. Or you could braze in some brass, then file and sand smooth. Just throwing out options. Also, if there is any tank sealer in your tanks remove it before having them coated. The sealer will burn out in the oven making a HUGE mess inside the tanks to clean out.

Be sure to talk to your powder coater about their experience in doing tins. Look at some of their work first to be sure they can give you what you want. Getting the desired finish on tins is not as easy as other parts.

Good luck with your project. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics!

Old 01-08-2009, 12:30 AM
tomm
Cruiser

thanks powdercoater for the info this shovel is also a 76 flh right now its in alot of parts plan on going with a pogo seat and flh bars havin the engine and trans gone thru used to do it myself but no longer work at a machine shop now i am a factory rat moneys better but i miss some of the perks from the old shops well thanks for the info should be getting the tins back next week havin um dipped then we will see what they look like will post some pics soon i hope