Classic All 'historic' bikes.

1983 FXDG Refurbish Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 10:24 AM
troy montoya
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 762 Likes on 380 Posts

Hello mrlexus, heir is my e-mail address so you can send me the FXDG decal scan file , troymontoya@t-online.de were you able to check out the Company in Florida ? Let me know what you think ...

Old 02-07-2018, 07:50 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts

Troy, I sent you the files. I looked at the color chart at discountinueddecals. The Pearl Gray isn't even close to the correct color, the correct color is much darker. It is somewhere between the Nimbus Gray and Duranodic. On my computer, it's closest to Duranodic, on my Ipad, it's closer to the Nimbus Gray. I would pick one of those two from the options they have, but neither will be 100% accurate.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:05 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts

A tip for folks trying to restore the exhaust: I color, sheen, and texture matched around 15 high temp paints to find the one that was the same as the factory finish (I had a NOS exhaust and mufflers to compare with) I couldn't believe the difference in both the black color and final texture/look of all the different paints.

This paint is an exact match, and indistinguishable from the original paint. https://www.por15.com/POR-15-High-Temp_p_104.html

This paint can be done at home, however you will need to bake it.

In case original mufflers can't be found, the mufflers are the same as any of the shorty duals from that era (FX and FXWG), however the FXDG does have it's own DG specific part numbers stamped into them. I have done a few chrome mufflers with the POR15 paint, and will proper surface prep, it sticks well to the chrome.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:54 AM
troy montoya
Road Master

Originally Posted by mrlexus
Troy, I sent you the files. I looked at the color chart at discountinueddecals. The Pearl Gray isn't even close to the correct color, the correct color is much darker. It is somewhere between the Nimbus Gray and Duranodic. On my computer, it's closest to Duranodic, on my Ipad, it's closer to the Nimbus Gray. I would pick one of those two from the options they have, but neither will be 100% accurate.
ok thanks mrlexus, aim going to try to use discontinued decals , and a company heir in Germany to reproduce the decal , thanks again for your help, Troy

Old 02-17-2018, 06:55 AM
troy montoya
Road Master

Hi mrlexus i was able to order a set of decals from discontinued decals they should get heir soon, can you let me know where i need to drill the hole for the fender medallion ? a friend of mine is going to cast a medallion , he works in a dental lab and can cast it in silver and gold plate it , heirs a shot of the vest pin i am goining to use as you can see the top pin looks like it will be the closest to the original...

Last edited by troy montoya; 02-17-2018 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:14 PM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by troy montoya
Hi mrlexus i was able to order a set of decals from discontinued decals they should get heir soon, can you let me know where i need to drill the hole for the fender medallion ? a friend of mine is going to cast a medallion , he works in a dental lab and can cast it in silver and gold plate it , heirs a shot of the vest pin i am goining to use as you can see the top pin looks like it will be the closest to the original...
Hey Troy, here is a pic of the medallion with dimensions if you need it. 2.125 inch wide by .6875 inch tall. Brass.

I have the hole in my fender for the medallion.

The hole is this size.

Any chance your friend can make 2 medallions? If yes, How much do you think it would cost?

Thanks

Old 02-17-2018, 01:51 PM
troy montoya
Road Master

Hi shovhd, my friend and i did not discus any price, i am sure he will charge me something for the material , i don't know how much it will be , i know of at least 2 other people with disk glides who are also interested if it turns out alright , ill keep you posted ok, thanks for the dementions on the hole placement and size , can you share a photo from the point cover you got from grinder bill ? if i remember correctly he had the mounting holes at " 3 o'clock " & " 9 o' clock " instead of "12 o'clock & 6 o'clock " so he could mount the cover with out rivets...

Old 02-18-2018, 02:42 PM
shovhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by troy montoya
Heirs a photo of my motor after wrinkle finish coating, the cylinders were also coated, but were at the machine shop for honing when i snapped this shot
Hey Troy. Is that powder coated or wrinkle paint?

Old 02-18-2018, 03:21 PM
troy montoya
Road Master

Hi shovhd, yes that is a wrinkle Finnish paint, it was done by a shop heir in Germany , i think it came out quite well, cant wait to see the completed motor , i am going to try some time this week to swing by the shop thats building my engine so i can take some more photos as the motor gets put together rear rocker box with wrinkle paint, i think they did really good job !!!

Old 02-18-2018, 05:22 PM
shovhd
Cruiser

Hey Troy, looking good. Can’t wait to see how the motor turns out. Here is a pic of the points cover I had made by a guy Grinder Bill set me up with. I added my original cover so you can see the difference.

Did you find the belt guard sticker yet. There is a guy selling them on the internet, but he wants $199 usd just for one sticker 😳

Quick Reply: 1983 FXDG Refurbish Thread