Classic All 'historic' bikes.

Ironhead Forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Neal Perez
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Fork Lenght

I have a question on the front end, my front forks appear to be a longer lenght or. i have some photos on my album.
Did the bike have a look of longer front end, chooper style, i know the original owners put cast chrome wheels so they spend a little money on it, but i wonder if the lenght of the forks is stock.
I have the shocks at the lower settings for ride hight but even when i have them at max the front end looks a little long. It does nothing as far as making the bike handle bad, it does not look level so i wondered about it.

Neal in Texas

Old 01-17-2011, 09:36 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I glanced at the pics. It looks good to me. appears stock. You can measure and check. There isn't a 'level' point of view for reference in the pics.

The bike looks good.
s

Old 01-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Neal Perez
Cruiser

I checked the plugs and cables, they are both near or new, the plugs are near perfect with a clean light gray color, i was almost sure i was running a little rich, the bike was in the dealer for about a week before i got it.
I also pulled out the shifter and left footpeg to better clean and detail the area, put it all back togeter and its looking beter and better, i think the weather tomorrow is not going to be raining so i like to get a few more miles in.
I brought my old timing light home, i hope to do that tomorrow. i know one thing she never got this much attention, i did not even know that she had a chrome rear wheel when i bought the bike.

Neal in Texas

1-20-2011 update

I failed to mention that the front cylinder plug cable even taking in to account that its near new, the expansion end had colapsed a little, so i spread it with the screw driver for a tighter fit.
I went out riding, the weather was sunny and 65, near perfect, if it was not for a few, 3 burps from the carb at about 3,000 rpm in 4th gear, it would have been a perfect ride, she was behaving like
near perfect, cold i turn on the gas, prime 3 times, hit the starter and she is going. so tonight i took out the chain and rear tire for cleaning and detailing and i will put it back tomorrow, i just have to
be screwing with something.

Neal in Texas

Last edited by Neal Perez; 01-20-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:51 AM
tapeworm
Stage II
Default no compression in front cyl.

I have a 76 ironhead, kick only. Does anyone have a good way of checkin the head gasket, remember the bike will not start.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:19 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,807 Likes on 3,006 Posts

you can do a leak down test - it is a gage set to check the amount of pressure loss by presentages IE 5 * 15* kind of thing in the cylinder at the top TDC or by unadjusting the valves BDC bottom dead center < the best way