Classic All 'historic' bikes.

Ironhead Forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Neal Perez
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having so much fun with my 81 sportster that i cant get enough, i been looking on e-bay for frame kits for old ironheads to cut up and make my play machine, here is the problem, even now as we chat there are at least 6 frames some with many added parts, but what the heck do i do about an engine trans, my idea is.

1- stock frame, 70 to 78 sportster.
2- Have Hammer in Hand Guys up north do their 200 hardtail.
3- Stock front end no rake or strech.
4- Just some cast wheels.
5- Stock gas tank.
6- Have to have a rear pad for my girl.

I want to detail the heck out of it and would love for it to look like a factory bike exept with my touches, something i can modify and not feel guilty doing it, low to the ground bad *** look, more than likely black with old school flames, the crap i wanted when i was younger but could not afford.

So because of no aftermarket ironhead motors i think i will look for a basket case near me here in Texas, i think the best way to go.

Neal in Houston

Old 01-10-2011, 08:04 AM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"I very much believe that the problem is only a carb, i am not however sure that what i call a problem is actually a problem."

Yes, there is a problem. This bike is not running well.
Keeping in mind that your bike is stock:
backfiring and carb farts: timing can cause this (just slightly out of time is enough)
carb farts: lean condition usually--if adjusting the carb didn't fix this and your confident there are no leaks, then I'd be looking at varnish in the carb reducing flow or a damaged or worn accel-pump

s

Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Neal Perez
Cruiser

No matter what i do i think i should look in to this other issues just to be sure, the timing will be the more complicated because i have never done it on a harley engine, the carb i dont even think about it because i rebuild enough Holleys, Carters and played with fuel systems not to be afraid.
Good thing is i have the XL/XR Service Manual 1000cc Four Speed for my bike, so only issue will be getting the carb rebuild kit, if i start taking covers off i want to replace with new, just the way i do things.
But is a good idea above all to work on this things for me just because if am not screwing and perfecting something am not happy, just the nature of the beast.

I have seen gasket sets all over, but carb rebuild kits i dont remenber seeing, am sure the dealer has to have one, but i tell you the truth about this i dont go there unles i have to, what am about to say i hope does not upset anyone, if it does an apology goes out ahead of the issue. I have a Harley dealer 2 miles away from me, it is a fair to wealthy area and the dealer is just perfect, large, and has many machines in there that are over $40,000. then the customers come in in Mercedes and Beamers, new ones and they wear $2,000 in leathers and speak in perfect educated English so i dont think i have things in common and i dont want to say something that they see as ofensive, no fear am just being polite.
Time passed me by, i ride when i have a chance and am usually wearing jeans and some tshirt and now a jacket and work boots, most of the time i dont put on a helmet specially near home, i am selfish when i ride the old bike because i ride for me and no one else.

Hell i got in to another issue again, i will Google carb kits.

Neal in Texas

Old 01-10-2011, 11:30 AM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 648 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Neal Perez
...By the way 83XLX IS THE FINISH ON YOUR ROCKER COVERS, ENGINE COVERS AND EVEN THE SHOCKS a powdercoat, or a sandblast, i think it looks good...
Thanks. It's Dupli-Color "cast aluminum" engine paint. I painted the cam, sprocket, and primary covers with it, as well as the rear fender struts, rocker boxes, and air cleaner. The shocks were dull silver from the manufacturer.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:00 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain

I'm a big fan of supporting my local economy. Keep in mind when you go to the local dealer...for every bike they are selling for $40G... they owe $25G for it and overhead for the building and staff etc. My point is they are mortgaged and your business counts. I also use J&P. As for the Richie Rich clientele...don't sweat it...your all riding harley's...and when you are wrenching your own bike they will envy you!
Timing: easy: get a clear piece of hose or gas line the same diameter as your timing hole and about 1.5inches long. Push it in the timing hole so it is almost touching the fly-wheel (it won't spray oil out the hole if it fits well). Set your idle and check for the mark with a gun....if you don't have a gun they are cheap enough at Canadian tire and worth having....or borrow a buddies.(keep the buddie around for an extra set of hands to make adjustments...or to pass you the beer)

later
s

Old 01-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Neal Perez
Cruiser

It looks from the photo like an expensive powdercoat, great detail, mine has the same areas you covered with paint that need a little attention, good job.

Neal in Texas

Old 01-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Neal Perez
Cruiser

Yes sir i agree, but i found many that have rebuild kits inexpensive also on the net now that i searched. I am going after the timing first or looking to see if it needs changing, and i do have an old timing light from the old days and its a snapon on top of that, i figure the timing could be critical in the case of backfiring a little, remenber here that am a little too much a perfectionist, but also i havent pulled a plug yet, this wekend i have my hobby work scheduled.
I know that when i bought the bike i waited for about a week because it was in the dealer getting worked on, i was told it was a carburator issue, it does not look like anyone took it a part and i like that.

Neal in Texas

Old 01-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Neal Perez
Cruiser

Inspecting things showed that the seal of the front cylinder and intake was a little loose, i warmed up the bike and drove her only for about 5 miles and it looks like is running a little better, if i had to put a percentage about 25%.
am heading in the right direction with it but i have not checked the timing.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:24 PM
meglioed
Advanced

I have an Ironhead as well, 1981 XL. Theres a forum I am a member of, heres the link...............
http://xlforum.net/index.html

Hope to see ya there.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:12 AM
scottfisher
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Neal Perez
Inspecting things showed that the seal of the front cylinder and intake was a little loose, i warmed up the bike and drove her only for about 5 miles and it looks like is running a little better, if i had to put a percentage about 25%.
am heading in the right direction with it but i have not checked the timing.

I like the sound of progress.

Quick Reply: Ironhead Forum