Classic All 'historic' bikes.

Over The Australian Alps

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007 | 09:41 AM
WozzA
|
2nd Gear
Default Over The Australian Alps

About a year ago a friend of mine was telling me how he purchased some old tarnished motorcycle trophys at a garage sale some 20 years prior. These trophys turned out to befrom Harley club of Victoria Australia, presented to William (Bill) Grinham in 1927. Bill had been a active member of the club in the early days and had won several trials on his JD model. One trophy was for a petrol trial where he achived an astounding 70.5 miled on a gallon of fuel, BIG DEALdid I here you say? Well he did it with a side car attatched with a observer in the chair..
Another trophy was from the Victorian Motorcycle Union for winning a winter trial, and another the W.Gips Cup for the best aggregrate for 1927.
In 1927 theclub also had a Christmas Tour, called Over the Australian Alps, a back breaking 12 day tour over the Victorian Great Dividing ranges. After interviewing Bills daughter and aquiring someold photographs of her Fatherand mother I decided to write a story about the tour.. which you can read at
http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Feature...verthealps.htm The story has also been published in Australian Motorcycle magazines, and because of the interest shown it was decided to do a re-enactment ride in Feburary to celebrate the 80th anniversary of this tour.
The Australian Quadriplegic association being the benificiary of the tour. So...
If anyone is in Aus in Feburary and would like to join us... drop me a E:Mail or PM..

Old 07-25-2007 | 12:41 PM
WozzA
|
2nd Gear
Default RE: Over The Australian Alps

The web site for the tour is now up and running... read the story, register, or just have a look at
www.otaa80.com
Thanx guys.