Classic All 'historic' bikes.

starter help on my 77superglide

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 03:52 AM
chriscresw
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter help on my 77superglide

ok when i push the electric starter button on my 77 spuerglide sonetimes i hear a click in the syliniod, sometimes not. i took a junp box and hooked directly to the starter and it made it spin but it doent turn the motor over. does the syliniod make the starter engage? what kind car syliniod can i use on this bike?. it has both electric and kickstart, i only way about 125 pounds and it wears me out to start i by kicking it. i also heard that a starter from some 70's model car will work with is hard for me to beleave but u never know. please help me as soon as possible

chriscresw@aol.com

Old 10-11-2005, 11:13 AM
underboss
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: starter help on my 77superglide

The solenoid is a switch that, when energized, will cause the starter motor to turn and
engage the ring gear on the clutch via a Bendix gear. There is a big washer in the solenoid that
makes contact between the two large lugs, thereby bridging the connection between the battery and the starter motor itself.

You could take apart the solenoid and make sure that the washer is in good shape and that
the shaft in the solenoid will move freely and allow the washer to make contact with both
lugs. The clicking may be a result of the shaft or plunger retracting and contacting one lug
but maybe its not contacting both. Since the starter motor turns when you jumped the
connection its probably OK. If you buy a new solenoid, I've had better luck with Accel rather
than HD. You can also buy a rebuild kit for the solenoid.

I used to have the same exact problem you describe on my '84. For years I just put up with the
clicking. There were occasions where I'd hit the started button a dozen times before it would
cause the motor to engage. I tried different HD soleniods but that didn't help. I never had
this problem with an Accel solenoid though.

-viv