1958 Harley Duo Glide.. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 03:07 PM
aaronk227
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1958 Harley Duo Glide.. HELP

Hey All,

I am new to the motorcycle world and have always wanted a classic bike. I am hoping that this forum can help tell me if what I'm looking at is a decent deal and is a good bike. It is a 1958 Harley Duo Glide, with a 1994 Earthworks short block motor, 1949-56 Harley jugs and heads, bolted to a standard 49-56 Harley four speed transmission. It has true 58 tank and fenders and the old school wiring harness with cloth casing. It is titled as a 1994 because of the engine. The bike is absolutely beautiful, but I'm not sure if it's worth as much as others since it is "pieced together", or is this normal for classic bikes. Any help would be really appreciated! I would be getting the bike for around $9,500. I see most 58s going for well over $10k.

I've posted a picture of how it looks now as well as some pictures the guy sent me of it during the build. Please help!

Attached Thumbnails 1958 Harley Duo Glide.. HELP-image.jpg   1958 Harley Duo Glide.. HELP-image.jpeg  

Last edited by aaronk227; 11-13-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:36 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,649 Likes on 2,930 Posts

to me and I do this - its all china parts - fenders - gas tanks - all the chrome - seat

having said that its a condition thing and a want thing - if you don't mind a fake panhead then your in - the price is in the realm of ok, you cant copy it for 10,000 and it does not sound like you can build one as most cant, if its a entry into owning a older looking bike, as long as you know it wont ever be worth more, and it will be almost impossible to get more then your looking to pay for it right now -

collectable motorcycles are big bucks - if its seems like a real deal something is up - the AMCA has a chapter near you, go meet the guys and look and talk to them if you decide to get a real one, you will get to see what some have and the prices and what to expect as well as help in getting a real one - be careful lots of snakes selling junk as if its a gem -- my take is the AMCA guys will help you not get taken advantage of

Old 11-13-2015, 08:09 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 1,688 Posts

If you're set on a motorcycle that looks like a vintage Harley, then this one fits.

However, it isn't a vintage Harley. At all. It's pieces and parts, some old, some new.

Whether or not this is what you want, only you can answer that question.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:04 PM
ccislander
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts

Aaron,
Don't waste your money. This is not a classic bike. There are plenty of nice, complete panheads in the 58-64 range for $14k-$18K for which your money would be much better spent.
I would question any claims the owner makes, as those are not "true '58 tanks". If they are original Harley tanks, they are 59-60. 57-58 panheads use tanks with a round plastic emblem and the tanks are prepped for those emblems only.
Also, you said you're new to motorcycling. I don't know how much of your own wrenching you do but a motto of many classic bike owners is "Wrench, Ride, Repeat". On a classic bike that has at least an original motor and transmission, you can use the original manuals and there are forums where you can get all the help and info you need.
In the long run, you'll be a whole lot happier by doing a little more studying and spending a little more money at the outset and getting a true classic.
BTW - when you get that true classic dialed in right and keep up on the routine maintenance, it will be as dependable as any new bike. I don't hesitate to hop on mine and ride anywhere.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:36 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,525 Likes on 6,272 Posts

Originally Posted by ccislander
Aaron,
Don't waste your money. This is not a classic bike. There are plenty of nice, complete panheads in the 58-64 range for $14k-$18K for which your money would be much better spent.
I would question any claims the owner makes, as those are not "true '58 tanks". If they are original Harley tanks, they are 59-60. 57-58 panheads use tanks with a round plastic emblem and the tanks are prepped for those emblems only.
Also, you said you're new to motorcycling. I don't know how much of your own wrenching you do but a motto of many classic bike owners is "Wrench, Ride, Repeat". On a classic bike that has at least an original motor and transmission, you can use the original manuals and there are forums where you can get all the help and info you need.
In the long run, you'll be a whole lot happier by doing a little more studying and spending a little more money at the outset and getting a true classic.
BTW - when you get that true classic dialed in right and keep up on the routine maintenance, it will be as dependable as any new bike. I don't hesitate to hop on mine and ride anywhere.